• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 - 1600 compatibility?

Kauboi

Hi everybody, I just joined this great site and this is my first post... forgive me if it's a redundant (or all out stupid) topic. I'm new to the world of BMWs and just bought a 1969 1600-02 last week... and absolutely love it. According to the title, it has 75k original miles and the engine runs smooth but I'm getting a grind shifting from 1st to 2nd. I'm taking it to a local BMW shop to have it checked out soon... praying it's something simple like the throw off bearing. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst, I have casually been pricing a new transmission and was pretty surprised at the some of the things I've found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221041778159+&item=221041778159&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466#ht_500wt_1203

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270989025078+&item=270989025078&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466#ht_500wt_1203

As an all-around question for any problems I may encounter, what parts, if any, are interchangeable between the 2002s and the 1600? Would either of these transmissions work for me? Any help or advice on the car/transmission in general would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Both gearboxes can be fitted to your car with some modifications. The biggest issue is the fact that your 1602 uses a mechanical linkage for the clutch. The 5 speed box has a hydrolic slave cylinder to move the throw out bearing. There is no way to adapt the mechanical linkage to use with this gearbox. You will have to change the pedal box to the 2002 type with the clutch master cylinder. I don't think you really want the OD transmission, a stock 1600 does not really make enough torque to pull the 5th gear even with the 4.10 final drive ( 0.85:1 overdrive with a 4.10:1 final drive is an effective 3.48:1). If you want a bit less revs on the freeway just put in a 3.90 or 3.64 final drive and leave the stock 4 speed. I would consider one of the later 2002 gearboxes because of the Borg Warner style syncros instead of the old Porsche style.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

There are a lot of interchangeable parts on 1602 and 2002's. If you ever need any help feel free to give me a call and I can check on some parts for you.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Some 1602 have hydraulic clutch mines a 69 and has ,its RHD though , so best you check , with a good motor, 4.11 , with a 5 speed , a carby upgrade , you will be fine but dont expect a power house , 5th good for the freeway.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

thanks for the great info you guys, and keen advice Preyupy. taking it to the shop today, fingers crossed. Konrad, I will certainly be giving you a call here in the near future. I'll try to clean her up once I she's out of the shop and post some decent photos... I know how you guys like your pics

One major difference between the 1600 and 2002 are the rear brakes. The 1600 has shoes & drums that are 1 inch smaller in diameter than the 2002. (Ask me how I found that one out). You will be able to find parts on the forum for the 1600 rear brakes. Feel free to contact if you have any other questions. Welcome & Good Luck! (How about some Pics?)

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

ok, before anybody says anything about the color... as legend has it, the owner of a local Carpool car wash bought this thing new way back when and had it sitting in his garage. One day he decided to have it painted up in the Carpool blue & yellow and parked it out in front of the car wash as a shop mascot. There she sat, for I don't know how long, being started every morning just to drive 20 ft to the front of the building and then returned every evening when they closed up. I passed by it many times drooling, but always figured it was a rust bucket or just a blue & yellow shell. It was sold a few years back and has since changed hands 2 or 3 times before I found it on craigslist. I even called Carpool to inquire about the car before I bought it and the guy (a manager, not the original owner) told me that he never had any problems with it and that they always took it in for regular maintenance. So, that's the story as I have heard it. I'm not looking to restore it to its original condition and I'm sure most of you will cringe when I tell you that I actually kind of like the color scheme. I'm just looking to make a solid driver out of it. I work at a sign shop doing custom vehicle graphics so, who knows, maybe I can even convince Carpool to pay for my gas if I put some of their logos on it, HA! anyway, here are some pics from the day I bought it to hold you over

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

it's too bad that between the time it was owned by the dude @ that car wash joint and the last guy that it lost the tii alloys. still need DS glass? the ad's not gone from CL....

too many fish, not enough time

hmm... didn't realize that about the alloys. yep, the DS glass is still gone, as it was broken into at some point. I've got a piece of plexi-glass cut and in there temporarily. If anyone knows a good place to look for that, let me know.