• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought an 02

LarryS

Just bought my 2002 today! After catching the bug, looking on the faq, craiglists across the country, eBay, etc. etc., many emails, phone calls, a couple of ppi's, almost pulling the trigger on a couple of cars I haven't seen in person and on the brink of giving up, I find a 72 tii 15 miles from my house for $4,000.

The PO had the car for the last 28 years. Him and his wife are very nice people and had a strong attachment to the car. The plastic intake tubes were cracked on the flange and the car was garaged for the last 5 years and not running.

When I went to look at the car, the PO wrapped radiator tape on the tubes, bought a new battery and on the 4th try, it started right up after 5 years. Today, We took the car for a ppi to a bmw shop right around the corner from me where the owner has 3 tii's himself. Except for a few minor things and a little rust, the car is very solid and strong, He said it is a great deal.

Funny how things work out sometimes.

I attached some pictures the owner sent me, I dont think he washed it, just rinsed off the outside

post-21361-13667661494714_thumb.jpg

post-21361-1366766149556_thumb.jpg

post-21361-13667661496378_thumb.jpg

post-21361-13667661497201_thumb.jpg

post-21361-13667661498055_thumb.jpg

72 Tii

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats and welcome to the board. Looks like you found a great car.

Is it original Polaris?

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

Very jealous of your find. Congrats!

Off the block, I suggest replacing any hose that goes to your K pump. Fuel, coolant and oil lines. we all want those MF pumps running as long as possible.

Also check your thermostat switch. My Tii had sat for 2 years when picked it up and I wish I had checked it earlier. When I eventually did, I found it to be completely dead, thus forcing the engine to run on hot coolant.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

nice find living right under yer nose all that time!

too bad the nose has been replaced,

the seats are krap, and someone mounted a P.A.

system under the steering column?! - easy to put right though.

Welcome Aboard,

Have fun with it.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Is it original Polaris?

It's been resprayed once.

Very jealous of your find. Congrats!

Off the block, I suggest replacing any hose that goes to your K pump. Fuel, coolant and oil lines. we all want those MF pumps running as long as possible.

Also check your thermostat switch. My Tii had sat for 2 years when picked it up and I wish I had checked it earlier. When I eventually did, I found it to be completely dead, thus forcing the engine to run on hot coolant.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Thanks for the advice. Definitely have some things to do before taking out.

nice find living right under yer nose all that time!

too bad the nose has been replaced,

the seats are krap, and someone mounted a P.A.

system under the steering column?! - easy to put right though.

Welcome Aboard,

Have fun with it.

Yeah, The owner told me the PO before him had an accident and it was replaced.

I guess he didn't want to cut into the door cards for the speakers.

72 Tii

What a sweetie. Do yourself a favor and take her back to original, as much as possible. In ten years you won't regret it.

1970 Atlantikblau 

'11 135i "The Red Rocket"
'13 F10 M 

'07 Carrera GT3 "The Flying Banana"

That's great.

Advise replacing all radiator hoses, fuel lines and getting a new KF belt. Go through the brake system, replace flex lines and check that calipers and rear wheel cylinders operate properly and don't leak. Adjust valves to spec.

Use 20/50 oil, makes the engine happy.

Enjoy.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I read that ad, and something about it resonated as an honestly described car and a good deal!

Enjoy!

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Congratulations.

I saw the Craigslist ad, and sat on my hands so I wouldn't call the Seller.

Real pleased it turned out good as i know you've been looking for an '02 for a while.

Did you take it to Bert's for the PPI? I was there earlier yesterday.

Email me the VIN and I'll add you (& the car) to my list.

lescartwright at juno.com

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17