• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina and Borrani (CMR) 13” Steel Rims

Conserv
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

9 hours ago, Markster said:

… I could order one of the 36131113131 steel rim bmw lug nuts…

Alpina did not design a lug nut solely for their steel rims. They, in all likelihood, picked an existing, closed-end style or styles to sell with their rims. The multiple verified styles we see are evidence that Alpina was not “sweating the details” with respect to lug nuts for their steel rims.

Buy a set of new or used OEM lug nuts for steel rims — the closed end versions used on square taillights — install your beautiful rims, and keep an eye out for lug nuts that more closely resemble the styles we’ve seen that might be attributable to Alpina. That’s what I’d do!

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I'm hoping to get some information on non-lug-nut Alpina re-pop-related wheel matter. I bought a 1967 2000CS, with BHS Alpina-like 15"X 6" wheels. These are the typical, early Alpina knock-offs, with the starburst pattern and 20 spokes. I have sourced some original steel wheels and have them mounted now, but have a great interest in these early Alpina reproductions. So, please chime in if you know something. Here's what I think I know.

1). I found this information in Bimmerforum. "These BHS wheels were distributed in Germany by a company named CONOS Handelsgesellschaft. But they were manufactured in Italy, initially by R&G, and eventually by OZ wheels..." Apparently the BHS embossment is somewhat unusual, and the embossed information indicates an offset of ET12.

2). Please see shop photos of the original wheels I've sourced,  14" X 5 1/2" OEM NK steel wheels. I also have the correct hubcaps and beauty rings.  This will be a "rolling restoration" project, emphasis on the "roll" part per this thread.

Can anyone shed any light on the Alpina re-pops that came on this car? I know they are old (date code July 1982), and the pictures may shed more light on the history of these wheels, for which I am "unencumbered by knowledge." Thank you! Aloha, Robert

PS. My car is currently at Carl Nelson's La Jolla Independent BMW. Note the clipboard and parts in the picture. A good sign! RPS

thumbnail-92.jpg

IMG_1986 (1).heic IMG_4212 (1).heic

• 3 weeks later...

A set of four CMR R1-440 Alpina wheels is currently being auctioned on BaT: 

img_1438-4-61275.jpg
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 13×5.5″ CMR Alpina Wheels for BMW at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #74,708.

Ending today

Edited by quant
  • Like 1

BMW 2002ti (March 1970, Malaga)

3 hours ago, quant said:

img_1438-4-61275.jpg
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 13×5.5″ CMR Alpina Wheels for BMW at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #74,708.

Ending today

Wow! Not sure why I am surprised to see them on BaT, but I am. 

My favorite wheels.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Lottadough for a steel wheel.  I'll give him credit for at least being honest with the center caps/emblems (being aftermarket that is....).  Doesn't matter to some, matters a lot to others.  A few years ago I saw a NOS set of those caps sell of fleabay (Germany) for $1200 bucks.  Crazy.

• Like 1

I still have at least 3 of the original 4 center caps from my car, which was built by Alpina in 1970.  The originals are just a bit shorter than the reproductions I have seen. The 4th cap has to be in my garage somewhere!  Still looking...

20170203_171915.jpg

• Like 5

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=

4 hours ago, quant said:

img_1438-4-61275.jpg
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Ending today

Closing started; already hit $6,000 and still going

Edited by quant

BMW 2002ti (March 1970, Malaga)

I found four of them years ago when you could occasionally find stuff on Ebay.de, that isn't happening any more.  I don't have a repo to compare to in terms of height, the stamping is different with the top relief being a square off edge as opposed to rounded.

33942632_2525064824185693_4301099847873724416_n.jpg

• Like 3