• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hazard switch repair worked!

LarryS

Taking the switch apart sucks. I used a sharp utility knife and did it clip by clip. Moving the piece immediately after I did a clip. I was thinking it might be easier to drill a hole (at the pin's location) so you can bend the pin in without having to dismantle it. 

Also the spring is symmetrical ('74 2002tii), not sure about that short the one member mentioned.  

I found the hardest part was bending the pin enough, but not too much. Took me a few tries.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

On a road trip currently and ours is stuck on. Don't want to risk breaking it. Is there a way to remove it, and possibly wire the blinkers up so they work? Currently taping the button down, but the turn signals don't work while it's depressed.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:01 PM, Son of Marty said:

You can keep the botton depressed by carefully wedeging a tooth pick between the botton and the housing to get you home.

There we go! :)

Credit: The Illustrious P Wegweiser

xCCbT97.png

Edited by ray_
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

If you don’t regularly drive your car, what I like to do with my E12s and e21 is disconnect the battery and turn on the hazards so it’s not keeping pressure on that pin.  I once opened the door to my storage unit to flashing amber lights that had been going for an unknown amount of time and that was the end of that.

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2012 at 10:05 AM, LarryS said:

Fixed the hazard switch and in turn that fixed the turn signals...

God bless the people who figure this stuff out.

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/hazardswitchfix/hazardswitchfix.html

My turn signals arent working, my hazard switch has something like a toothpick in it to hold it down,  and I would have never guessed they were related issues. 

Such great info here! 

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

• 1 month later...

IMG_3195.mov

This was my problem...the pin in the arm was loose! (See video above)

My fix was to Dremel out the plastic around the pin that attaches the arm (with the loose pin) to the plastic body

image.thumb.jpeg.110e00da480f655ce6e9c31933e9315e.jpeg

With a little blood sacrifice...

image.thumb.jpeg.a7c87cb6dfe10718391968df5bb1da3f.jpeg

Then after a JB Weld fix to the back of the arm/pin, reassemble

image.thumb.jpeg.b94158d574ce2b9ac3ba0f8dae7e7dc0.jpeg

And press the pin holding the arm back in place (BTW, I epoxied the body where I'd Dremeled it out and redrilled the hole  - forgot to get a photo of that)

image.thumb.jpeg.f62e0bf420271748460b415b34720d8d.jpeg

And Voila (see video below) :)

IMG_3208.MOV

Edited by Steve76063
  • Like 3

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This topic was super helpful for me. Since others were struggling with opening the switch, I thought I'd share my method. Before I found this thread I opened it about 8-10 times while trying to figure out how to fix the switch.  I got pretty good at it!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all this great info! Since I had my console out and apart, and modifying it I decided no better time than the present. Fixed my hazard switch tonight too, thanks to this great info. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

• 5 months later...
On 7/11/2021 at 10:44 AM, OriginalOwner said:

My switch gave me problems, so at least a couple of decades ago I JB Weld'ed it in the "off" position.  Problems solved.

Cheers,

Carl

I like Carl's moxie, but I just put a jumper between terminals 30 & 49 & left the switch in the garage (mine was faulty & the turn signals wouldn't work).

Rally on,

Bill in Oregon