• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hazard switch repair worked!

LarryS

LarryS,

your temp fix is still working ..... good deal !!  Those are the best fixes.

My JB Weld "fix" is likewise still working, so I must have (finally) done something right.

But, for good or bad, I'm about to upgrade.  Maximillian had a new hazard switch for sale, so I bought one, should arrive this week. 

I'm now quite nervous about "fixing" what hasn't been "broken" for a couple of decades or more.  There's certainly a lesson to be learned, and I haven't yet figured it out.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

I bought a new switch but figured I would wait to put it on until needed. After moving to a new house, I dont know if I would be able to find it now.

There is a lesson to be learned there as well.

Larry

72 Tii

WELL NUTS !!!!!   Another lesson to be learned.

As noted above, I ordered a new switch from Maximillian.  It arrived today ...... Wrong Switch !!!!!!

The Max ad said,

--  8 prong up to '73.

--  6 prong '74 and onward.

I of course ordered the 6-prong ..... and those folks at the factory fooled me 49 years ago by installing a Hazard Switch for a '73 or earlier !!!!  Sheesh !!!

LESSON:  look at your Hazard Switch ..... don't assume you have the correct year installed.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Five-out-of-five stars for this project. If you have a paper clip in your Hazard switch like I did - just make a little time (<1 hour np) and perform this fix. It's easy and a lot of fun. Keep that old part working - don't replace with a new part unless you have to.

I used a single, much smaller screwdriver (eye glasses screwdriver) than the ones in the pics earlier in this thread. And as I separated the male clip from it's female square, I inserted little segments of a paper clip that I pre-cut. After mostly making my way around (not all of the clips had to be separated) the switch came open. Nothing dramatic, no springs popping out, nothing to worry about.

Bent the tang per the entries above (doesn't take much), put some grease in the channel and boom: 47 year old fully functional Hazard switch. 

I am always really happy when I get to keep an original part on the car.

Edited by Birdie
  • Like 1