• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2012 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix - July 20-22

ejzagro

This year’s BMW Gathering at the PVGP will take place from July 20-22. We should have another fantastic event this year. Although the Allegheny Chapter BMWCCA will be featuring 6-series coupes during our 2012 corral, with the spotlight on the E24, we always look for strong support from the 2002 community. Last count was six 2002 race cars and several show cars.

Registration for our Corral: Go to www.PVGP.org/bmw

Schedule: There will be a scenic drive on Friday, followed by a welcome reception Friday night. Saturday/Sunday festivities include the car corral, catered lunches, the return of the Spaten Biergarten, door prizes by Liberty Mutual, spectator favorite voting, and other surprises. In place of the parade lap, this year we are going to try a “Jog to the Park”, a 40-45 mile scenic drive to Schenley from the hotel. This will give those who cannot arrive in time for the Friday drive a chance to see some of the cars in motion. PVGP's marque of the year is the MG.

Hotel Info: The host hotel has changed for 2012. The host hotel this year is the Comfort Inn and Suites Route 28 (RIDC Park), which is on the other side of town from last year’s hotel. The hotel is about an 8 mile drive to the Schenley circuit. Call the hotel directly (412-963-0600).

We will once again have a lots of door prizes to give away and we have to thank the BMW Performance Center for once again proving us with a 2-day M-School package as our grand prize! We have also just found out that Jonathan Summerton, who co-drive the BMW Rahal Letterman car to a class win at Sebring, will also be one of our guests.

The Allegheny Chapter welcomes all BMWs to participate in the festivities.

Friday Drive Info:

This year’s Friday Shark drive is a traditional “follow the directions” tour. The tour will leave from the RIDC Comfort Inn. We will meet in the parking lot at 9:30 am for introductions and should get on the road by 10:00 am. The tour runs approximately 70 miles with a variety of winding back roads. There are only 2 traffic lights on the entire trip! We’ll end up at the small mountain village of Foxburg on the Allegheny River where there is a restaurant overlooking the river, as well as a pizza and sandwich shop. Participants can dine at either location and lunch will be ordered from the menu. After lunch, participants can walk to the nearby winery which has a tasting room and outdoor seating. There is also a chocolate shop at the end of the street. The club will offer a light desert and a commemorative wine glass as part of the tour. For those interested, there is a river boat tour and “Rails to Trails” bike and walking trail in the village. The Friday drive is open to all BMWs, E-24s as well as non-Sharks, but for insurance reasons, drivers must be members of the BMWCCA to take part in the drive. CCA membership is not necessary to part in our corral or have lunch with us. On the way back to the hotel, anyone that is interested can stop off for a tour of a real coal mine. The tour includes a ride on a coal car a half-mile underground and a demonstration of a working coal mine. The temperature in the mine is 55 degrees year round, so it might be a “cool stop” for the folks with no air conditioning. There will be a window of a couple of hours between the end of the drive and the start of the evening reception so there will be plenty of time to wash the car in the hotel parking lot or just relax.

As always, if you have any questions, let me know. We look forward to seeing everyone!

Eric

We will be at the Pitt Race (formerly BeaveRun) race weekend racing our 1976 BMW 2002, currently sporting #73, black & white paint.

Stop by and say hey if you're wandering around the paddock area.

The following weekend at Schenley we're racing our Mini, but the 2002 will be there in spirit.

Everyone have a great time over on the golf course - I'd love to get over there but generally don't due to the race schedule. Stay cool.

Cheers,

Ian

www.bwautosport.com

1976 BMW 2002

1961 Austin Mini

1983 BMW 320i

Ian! I sent you a quick FB message. Hopefully our paths will cross soon! I'll definitely be at the track on the 14th and Schenley Park the following weekend!

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com