• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy marriage thread: what do I need to keep?

I'm no hoarder by any means (so I keep telling myself), but I need to thin out my parts stash as I build my new work space. I keep coming across parts I can't toss- are these of any value to anybody at all, let alone me?

For example, I have two slightly cracked one-piece '74-76 dashes. Is there any value to these for anybody?

Old, decrepit tail light assemblies- does anybody need this stuff anymore?

Most of what I have came off a rusty '76. None of it is anything anybody would put on anything more than a "try to keep her going" type of project. What do you guys use as a general rule of thumb when making a decision to bin it or keep it?

~Rob

'73 2002 Warmbold Rally Car Imitator

'89 325i Time Capsule

Know that anything you get rid of, you will need in 2-6 weeks. At least that's my experience.

That having been said, photograph it and put it in eBay with a low starting bid. If the slightly cracked dashes fetch $100 apiece, you'll feel like a genius. If they don't budge off the low starting bid, you'll grumble about the time it takes to pack and ship them, and raise the starting bid on the next auction. I moved a lot of my old stuff this way.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I AM a hoarder by all means, and I have exactly the same problem-

lots of parts that would be fine for a scuffy daily, but not worth much

as they sit. Things like weathered- but- servicable door seals.

The other thing to do is offer 'em up in boxes here- one of these days,

maybe I'll get around to it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks, guys.

I was able to set up my new workspace while consolidating pretty significantly. I got rid of a pair of seized alternators, torn and cracked door pulls, and some hopelessly stained visors. It's not a lot, but it's a start!

It's the awful dash, the dinged '73 bumper set, and some of the console components (like the A/C dash I have no place for) that I know I should toss but can't make myself dump.

~Rob

'73 2002 Warmbold Rally Car Imitator

'89 325i Time Capsule

Know that anything you get rid of, you will need in 2-6 weeks. At least that's my experience.

+1

Translation of junk.....something that becomes useful right after it is thrown away.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If they don't budge off the low starting bid, you'll grumble about the time it takes to pack and ship them,

lol, sounds familiar, but you forgot you will then then continue to bitch that after all the fees, all you managed to do was break even.

"Happy marriage thread: what do I need to keep?"

A sense of humour.

Rather than figuring out what to get rid of and what to keep, why not look at how things are stored? It may be possible to store two of an item where there was only room for one before. Heck, you might even make room for more stuff.

Or do the cut and run- sell everything off for whatever you can get, then buy parts JIT (just in time). Costs may go sky high, but you won't have any storage issues.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

If its usable and not a consumable parts (Brake pads (I keep LOW mileage shoes), Lines, used clutches, bearings, seals, etc.) If it's something I wouldnt put on my car I usually dont keep it. But I like to have one of everything around...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Rob, offer it up for shppg cost before you toss it. Ebay seems to be a thankless place for things like this because the "winner" still feels like the "buyer". The Parts For Sale section on here is the best place (and on our site!), almost everyone knows what's what, and appreciates generosity. And you'll get rid of it MUCH faster than fleabay.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

At the last Bay area 2002 show, a guy had a bunch of parts, too good to throw away but not good enough to hold on to and not worth the hassle to sell.

So he laid them up in the parking lot, put a sign saying basically: Take what you want, pay what you think is fair. For some things, free is fair. And he left a jar.

At the end of the day, it was all gone and there was cash in the jar. Win win.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam