• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Death Of BMW’s M Brand

Beck180

Jalopnik has a interesting write up about the death of BMW's M division.

I think it speaks many truths to my feelings toward the M badge. Any thoughts?

http://jalopnik.com/5924573/the-death-of-bmws-m-brand

Haven't read the article but I too feel the M division is dead. Witness the M version X5 thing.

Sad.

They should only have M versions of models that could compete in some sort of Motorsport. So if they really have to sell an MX5 it should be the automotive equivalent of the Paris to Dakar motorcycle they sell (or sold).

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Long live the S54!!

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

For me the fake engine noise pumped through the stereo of the new M5 is just ridiculous no matter how good a car it is....

At least the supercharger whine in my CTS-V is real, even if I have to listen to it over the interior's squeaks and rattles...

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

was already dead. died when they put an "M" on an suv.

It died with the E36 M3 4-door automatic in the mid-90s.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Yep. Here's the summation:

BMW's Motorsport Brand has lost its soul, and will slowly fade into marketing mediocrity.

Sad.

I hadn't heard about the fake engine noises. F10 M5 is now off the list. Might have to cheap out on the next new car purchase and buy the replica GT40 that I really want. No fake engine noises there.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

So anything afterward isn't worthy of an "M" badge? E46 M3 with Competition package is still my favorite (raspy exhaust and all).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

So anything afterward isn't worthy of an "M" badge? E46 M3 with Competition package is still my favorite (raspy exhaust and all).

Agree....like I said "long live the S54" My 02 M Roadster is the real deal.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

IT SEEMS LIKE HISTORY IS REPEATING ITSELF .

BACK IN THE 80's WHEN THEY WENT AFTER THE YUPPIE MARKET .

IF YOU DROVE A BMW , EVEN AN '02 , PEOPLE WOULD ASSUME

IT WAS MORE ABOUT IMAGE THAN ENGINEERING .

BACK THEN THE E21 323i WAS SUCH A COOL CAR . ENTHUSIASTS

WERE BEGGING FOR IT THIS SIDE OF THE POND BUT IT WAS DESTINED TO STAY ON THAT ONE .

THE LARGER SCALE MARKETING OF THE M CARS SEEMED TO CURE THE YUPPIE IMAGE PROBLEM .

IT IS BEYOND SAD TO SEE THAN THEY HAVE NOW BECOME THE VICTIM OF IT .

reodor.gif

There was a reason they changed it from BMW Motorsport to BMW M.

Just using the letter M, it could stand for either "M"otorsport or in more current usage it means "M"arketing.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes