• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Tinting

laser1918

Except in places like rural Florida there are vicious redneck cops who love to pull people over for tinted windows and then harass them for anything else they find.

So it all depends where you live.

Regarding tinted windows themselves, I had them on my 2002 and spent a lot of time scraping off all that film - I didn't like the tinted effect because I think it impaired my vision.

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

My recommendation, if you do decide to it, is go to a shop that guarantees their work. I had mine tinted by a shop in Tucson, AZ that guaranteed their work for the life of your car. That was 28 yrs. ago and all the tinted windows are still in great shape, and the shop is still in business in Tucson (actually, they have 3 shops in town).

Only window that needed to be redone was the passenger wind-wing after someone tried to break into the car. The shop still stood by their work and re-did the window at no charge.

Bob Napier, in very sunny Southern Arizona

Two very good points. Have a professional shop do it. They are familiar with the laws and regs. And yes the federales can use tinting as a reason to stop you. They carry handheld devices to check your tint is not too dark.

Absolutely. Otherwise don't do it. I got the darkest legal tint. This was determined based on the existing factory tint. The rear window is limo tint. I did push it a tad getting windshield lightly tinted.

THE BARON WAS TINTED WHEN MY SON TOOK HIM TO SCHOOL IN WEST TEXAS IN THE EARY 90'S BY A PROFESSIONAL SHOP W/ LIFETIME REPLACEMENT. STILL THERE STILL LOOKING. GOOD INTERIOR IS NOT SUN DAMAGED AND THE WEAK A/C DOES HELP EVEN IN SOUTH DAKOTA

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

with very dark tinting--I could barely see out at night--and Ohio is pretty dark a good percentage of the year. I scraped it off as soon as I could as it was dangerous to drive at night.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

+ 1 on the merits of tinting. Not withstanding how "it fuchsup yer car" (is that a sentence)

In the south you cannot do without a good tint. Just take the advice of those who say get a reputable installer & get the darkest legal tint. I love mine and all my cars go right to my tinter to save the interior & me as well from the Florida sun. And it looks great with dark windows.

post-20467-13667662236481_thumb.jpg

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

I suppose a high quality window tint might be OK, but I did not like the tint on either of my bimmers. I did not want to experiment with removing it, so I took them to Ziebart for tint removal. Both vehicles look great and I can see SO MUCH BETTER at night. The 325's cheesy tint had my night vision on par with a 99 year old man.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I did not want to experiment with removing it

Removing the tint on my '02 required only a razor-blade scraper and endless hours of squinting and sweating. Managed without making a single scratch to the glass, too.

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"