• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat belt repair

bnam

The front seat belts on my 74 (actually front and rear) work reasonably well -- probably were not used for the first 30 years.

But, being one never content to leave well enough alone, I thought perhaps the seat belt locking mechanism could use a bit of cleaning and lubing. So pulled off the drivers side seat belt retractor and started unscrewing the black plastic side covers.

Of course, since I had done no research on these -- the side I opened was the one with the retraction spring which jumped out all tangled up -- was lucky it did not hit my eye.

I thought I was going to be out of luck, but with some patience and a helping hand from my daughter I was able to rewind the spring and adjust it for the right amount of seat belt extension and just a bit more retractor tension than it had.

However, when the plastic cover popped open, I lost one of the 2 screws that held it on. So hoping to someone has a no longer used/useful seat belt assembly and can spare me the screws.

I still intend to replace the rear belts with 3 points -- need to talk to Al about it.

Byas

Almost assuredly any good hardware store will have the correct diameter.,thread pitch, head shape, drive IN METRIC in those long rows of plastic pull out drawers that sit on top of the open bins of the Inch nuts,bolts, and screws. Get ye there hence. Not Lowe's or Home Depot.

CarlkkinMadCity

'74 ex-malaga 8 yr. driving restoration

4-spd, recaros, front bbk, I.E. bars+.s.exhaust. heater refurb(thanks Kieth), total motor rebuild 175 mi ago

(thanks Steve P., Jeff I.)

Well, you should not have opened the retractor covers. Once the coil unwinds, the whole unit is done, because you will never know what damage you have incurred on the spring, but if it is working you may be OK. Repa retractors are particularly bad. As of the bolts: all seat belts bolts have thread size 7/16-20 SAE regardless of whether they come in a BMW or Chevy. So, if you need new bolts, you can get them from Lowes or HD or other online stores. Min grade should be grade 5. You may need a different socket size because BMW bolts heads are 17M, while others use 16M (5/8") or some other size.

I think Repa covers use 5MM or 6MM screws.

Al,

I may have lucked out as the the seat belt retracts properly (actually a bit better than before).

The screw I'm missing is for the plastic cover of the retractor spring. Looked smaller than m5, but I'll try that.

Byas

Guest Anonymous

these guys have a quite inexpensive replacement belts that look almost identical to stock. Front less then 80 bucks. Don't see them advertised right now but sure they have them. Here are the rears advertised

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-TII-rear-seat-belts-Pair-/130705886244?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6ead8c24&vxp=mtr#ht_817wt_1037

these guys have a quite inexpensive replacement belts that look almost identical to stock. Front less then 80 bucks. Don't see them advertised right now but sure they have them. Here are the rears advertised

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-TII-rear-seat-belts-Pair-/130705886244?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6ead8c24&vxp=mtr#ht_817wt_1037

Those are piece of shit made in Taiwan plastic belts, about 4 years old stock. Worth no more than 25 dollars /pair. And the ebay seller is the same guy known as Select Classic who has a very bad rep among fellows here. BTW,when you post an answer qt FAQ, be a man and put your email and other info so we know who the mother fucker you are.