• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance Question

Just wondering if anyone has a particular insurance company they can rave about when it comes to insuring a 02.

Just had the worst experience trying to write a policy with Hagerty's after they came recommended to me by my Progressive Agent.

Go figure.

So I need decent insurance that isnt going to break the bank.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Curious about the Hagerty problem? That's who I would have recommended.

It would help to know what state you are in, as insurance is state-specific, and not all collector insurance is carried in all states.

Are you looking for a collector car policy? Stated or agreed value? Have you had an appraisal performed? Do you have locked storage and a registered, insured daily driver?

Grundy, Chubb, American Collector also come to mind, but IMHO are not as good as Hagerty. All will have some restrictions as to how/when you use the car, but in my experience Hagerty is pretty liberal with theirs.

That being said, my 3 vintage cars are with State Farm - very cheap, almost comparable to Hagerty. I'm just lazy and have not yet switched, but will one of these days.

David

Problem with Hagerty is that my daily driver (F150) is currently sitting in my garage in metro Atlanta. The 02 was just purchased in Vermont& will be registered/garaged at my summer home in Vermont. It just so happens that I opted to drive my 36' motorhome north for the summer. Because I cannot prove that I have a normal daily driver sitting at the house in Vermont this very instant, they wont insure me.

Other than that everything with my insurance application was perfect.

I just added the 02 to my Progressive policy to get me by for the time being....once I get everything sorted out I will most likely go with Barrett-Jackson Insurance. Their quoted out the same price as Hagerty.

The entire situation is just making me grouchy since I still dont even have the car from the dealer yet!

I had a similar problem with Hagerty in CA because they were super critical of my driving record. I had one minor speeding ticket from 5 yrs ago and no tickets since and they couldn't even write me a policy. And that was with proof of insurance on my daily driver AND motorcycle. Crazy. So I have all my vehicles on Progressive which isn't the cheapest, but they are very easy to deal with.

Jason

'73 2002tii Fjord

'02 M3 Convertible Jet Back/ Imola

I think you will encounter this policy with all collector car insurance companies. You are not really playing by their rules. Granted the rules aren't really written for people in your situation, but still. Collector car insurance is the bargain it is because it is presumed that you will only use the car occasionally. During the time you are in Vermont, I am guessing this will be your daily driver. That's not really their business model.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Hagerty really is the best.

I have all my motorcycles, the cars and a garage full of parts all insured for pennies. The best part is the vehicles I do not drive are covered by comp only, just in case my tree decides to fall.

I tried Farmers, Progressive and then the no-namer's. A daily driver is necessary with any classic policy if you are insuring the classics to drive.

If I remember correctly, State Farm will insure under a classic policy if you can prove you drive less than 2k per year. It will then be super cheap

On the other hand the only claim I have filed was with Farmers on a Motorcycle accident. No questions asked they cut a check for the repairs. I have never had to file a claim with Hagerty (knock on wood)

'72 2002

Lots of Brit and Euro Motorcycles

A couple of American Cars (dead in the yard)

..and a pile of magazines with the vehicles I want next

I use American Collectors. 89 dollars a year, no BS. All I had to do was state that the car was garaged and send them two photos of the car. And that's it. My friend restores American cars and has about 6 autos on a policy with them. Works for me!!

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

I think you will encounter this policy with all collector car insurance companies. You are not really playing by their rules. Granted the rules aren't really written for people in your situation, but still. Collector car insurance is the bargain it is because it is presumed that you will only use the car occasionally. During the time you are in Vermont, I am guessing this will be your daily driver. That's not really their business model.

The BMW would not be a daily driver in Vermont. I have 5 other cars here to use on a daily basis. They are either registered/insured to the farm or my eldery parents. I guess if I tacked my name on those cars as additional insured Hagerty might accept that. And my person truck just at the moment isnt here. I left it in Atlanta so I could drive the RV north, something I don't normally do.

At this point I'm over trying to be honest with them. I could have lied & told them the F150 is here, and photoshopped a picture. I don't play that way.

Car is now insured as if it was a daily driver with Progressive....$600/yr

And Scott thanks for that info as well, I will look into that other company.

More than likely, they want to see the insurance policy on the other 5 cars and see that you are listed on the policy. I have my Touring covered for $20K and it cost me about 250.00. Good luck,

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

More than likely, they want to see the insurance policy on the other 5 cars and see that you are listed on the policy. I have my Touring covered for $20K and it cost me about 250.00. Good luck,

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

I use American Collectors. 89 dollars a year, no BS. All I had to do was state that the car was garaged and send them two photos of the car. And that's it. My friend restores American cars and has about 6 autos on a policy with them. Works for me!!

+1 These guys are great.

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

Problem with Hagerty is that my daily driver (F150) is currently sitting in my garage in metro Atlanta. The 02 was just purchased in Vermont& will be registered/garaged at my summer home in Vermont. It just so happens that I opted to drive my 36' motorhome north for the summer. Because I cannot prove that I have a normal daily driver sitting at the house in Vermont this very instant, they wont insure me.

Out of curiosity, what would be your DD when you are in Vermont? The motorhome?

I first had my 02 under State Farm w/the other cars, and read a few horror stories (about State Farm and Classic cars), and some very successful ones (about Hagerty) on the board. I now have the 02 and the ix under Hagerty and honestly feel 'safer' with those two cars.

I also bucked a few more pennies and got the towing package which has paid for itself in spades on towing the other cars.

The people are great (no really, they ARE car people) and I think do everything they can to help you out.

Sorry i can't be of more help, but Hagerty has treated me really well.

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

Out of curiosity, what would be your DD when you are in Vermont? The motorhome?

I first had my 02 under State Farm w/the other cars, and read a few horror stories (about State Farm and Classic cars), and some very successful ones (about Hagerty) on the board. I now have the 02 and the ix under Hagerty and honestly feel 'safer' with those two cars.

I also bucked a few more pennies and got the towing package which has paid for itself in spades on towing the other cars.

The people are great (no really, they ARE car people) and I think do everything they can to help you out.

Sorry i can't be of more help, but Hagerty has treated me really well.

Dave

Normally my DD is the F150. It just isnt right here at the moment. Motorhome is used to go to the track when I have to work.

Right now I am driving a Ford Edge/Ford Flex/GMC Sierra/Pontiac Firehawk among others....whatever is sitting in the farmhouse parking lot in the morning when I need wheels.

A Hagerty manager did call today and left me a message to call back. SO maybe they want to reconsider.