• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

you drive you pay

Armond

how about paying a tax for every mile you drive?? Drivers would likely have to install GPS trackers on their cars to tally travel.

http://autos.aol.com/article/california-proposes-tax-on-driving/

oh boy.. seems like its been brewing for sometime now

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/28/geddes.sotu.obama.infrastructure/index.html

soon we'll be pedaling bicycles like the people in communist China

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard that the "free" HOV [High Occupancy Vehicle] center lanes that run up I-95 in Northern Virginia will soon be converted to HOT (High occupancy toll) lanes that use the EZ pass transponder. I believe the charges will occur even during the weekends. Oh Joy.

This adds to the under construction HOT lanes on the 495 Beltway. Since some portions of these HOT lanes are only separated by a series of dashed lane markings, there is a chance those vehicles in the "regular" lanes will get charged the HOT lane fee due to the aiming of the overhead transponder emitters.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

scary thing is insurance companies are already going down this road.

some, like progressive i think, offer an option to plug a recorder into the obd port in the car. it records starts, stops, speed etc. in order to get low insurance rates you have to upload the data from the recorder so they can analyse how you drive. drive fast? rev the car high a lot? prepare to pay higher rates or be dropped. fail to upload the data? same result. ugh.

HOT lanes are growning in popularity as a way to pay for roads. miami/ft lauderdale has had them in place on I95 for years.

2xM3

they will eventually...when they drive the prices for those who do not participate high enough. discount now for those who start using. eventually use could be the norm. money maker for ins companies. drives risk and pay out down while keeping rates the same. this type of monitoring should be banned.

2xM3