• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part number for the stock shift knob for a 1972?

Me too Bill!

Heck I'd be happy with an old used one if someone had it. As long as it isn't ripped up, I don't mind a bit of wear.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

the same plain black rubber knob with a textured finish. The texture wore off after 50k miles or so, and then they look smooth.

The factory wood and leather knobs with the embedded roundel were all accessory items, and the plain wood knob with no emblem was standard on the 2000CS, the fancier NK sedans and (I think) the 2800CS.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Bill, I think I have an old (no roundel) rubber one that came on my old Touring when it was first delivered (after the long salty voyage). I'll send you a pic tomorrow. Hope all's well...

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Part number 23411666170 is the five speed one.

I am looking for the plain black one without the Roundel on it

Hmmm!

23 41 1 666 170 is supposed to be the basic shift knob. It replaced the original 23 41 1 666 103.

Does it really have a 5 spd icon on it? I need one of those.

25 11 1 203 074 is a leather & plastic one.

There was a wood one with emblem 23 41 1 201 130 but that's gone by the wayside too.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Les, I ordered that twice, quite pricey and have two in my possession.

Yes, both of mine have the dog-leg five speed pattern on them.

If you need the dog-leg five speed one, E-mail me and we will see if a deal can be made on one of my two.

I can take photos tonight.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Les, I ordered that twice, quite pricey and have two in my possession.

Yes, both of mine have the dog-leg five speed pattern on them.

If you need the dog-leg five speed one, E-mail me and we will see if a deal can be made on one of my two.

I can take photos tonight.

Bill,

If/when?eventually I get to refurb the Touring, I have a 320i 5 spd (no dogleg fancy one) to go in.

I have the decals that Keith K. did, but don't want to paste them on the dash. So I was thinking of a 5 spd gear shift knob. I guess i could paste the decal on the Tourings original shift knob I have???

Les

FAQ Member #17

Les, I had another request for my shift knob. I threw it your way first. So, let me know if you want it with the dog-leg or let it go to the other offer.

Thank you Les

FAQ member #5

Bill, here a couple of quick pics. Appears to be threaded at 15mm. Softish rubber with a rigid plastic sleeve. A little over 70mm tall. Upright view is a bit distorted. Is in very good condition... maybe do a trade if interested?

post-66-13667662620795_thumb.jpg

post-66-13667662621957_thumb.jpg

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

OK, you might be sorry that you asked....

I have no idea of part numbers or the knobs' previous history, but all of these were collected over the years from junkyard 02's. There are 3 slightly different types, with subtle differences. All of these have the threaded hole matching the screw-thread top shift lever. None have evidence of a shift pattern on the top, but maybe it was simply pad printed ink? All have pebble grain showing, with various stages of wear.

On the left are two which I like to think are the oldest style (with no evidence except that one came to me on my bone stock '68 1600). It's a one piece molding- no insert.

The center two are constructed like the left two, from one piece of molded rubbery plastic, but the top is more rounded at every curve, and tghey seem to be a silly little millimeter or so taller.

The differences between these two are very slight, perhaps just two different suppliers...

The third type on the right has a harder plastic insert inside and the groove at the bottom of the top section. You can see the insert and feel that it's less squishy near the bottom. I'm guessing that this would be later than the others because the insert seems to be constructed like the later knobs with roundels and shift patterns.

post-66-13667662625458_thumb.jpg

The one I am looking for is like the two on the left. Specifically, the one in the rear of those two.

Thanks Paul, I may come back to you if I can find the one I am looking for.

FAQ member #5

Les, I had another request for my shift knob. I threw it your way first. So, let me know if you want it with the dog-leg or let it go to the other offer.

Thank you Les

Thanks Bill, but I'll pass.

Les

FAQ Member #17