• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

turn signal problem

tandups

yes, there are lots of posts on turn signal help and I have looked at 100's but i am still baffled. I have a 1972 car where the turn signal indicator on the dashboard typically blinks only one time, and then goes off while the blinkers continue to operate. either right or left, same problem. I have hard grounded the front turn signals, but the most baffling part is that when the hazards are turned on the indicator works fine. this to me rules out the grounding of the dashboard light, and the wiring from the flasher unit. since the schematic indicates the flasher is shared by the turn signal and the hazard, I'm confused. the flasher unit has not been replaced, but wanted to check in first. any ideas? thanks, Tom

Could be one or more of the following.

Dirty/oxidized flasher relay contact points.

Loose or oxidized connections under the fuse box.

Wrong wattage bulbs.

Loose front/rear bulbs.

Clean rear bulb sockets.

Clean rear ground near the gas tank/spare center rail.

Clean ground connected to the voltage regulator.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I've got the EXACT same thing going on. And my rears work perfect with the fronts. All new bulbs and fresh grounds. Checked all signals just tonight. If I figure out what's making the dash light fade I'll let you know.

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...

Glad to read your posting. I have the same problem with my 1972.

It started when I upgraded the rear lights to LED, purchased from a fellow FAQ'er. Great improvement.

The company who sold the LED ruled out any relation with my fading B (blinker) light.

Purchased Osram lights from Walloth und Nesch, cleaned contacts and made continuity tests with Earth? Used an eraser to clean the contacts of the fuse box.

I followed the posting from Mike Self, opened up the flasher relay to se all making contact. Next was to change out the flasher unit to get two B lights before fading out.

B lights work perfectly with the hazard switch and relay. The consule has an additional ground to the chassis, so I was pleased to read your post.

Hopefully the mystery will be solved soon!!

JP

Guest Anonymous

i guess im not the only one with a blinker problem, my signal lights work fine without the light being on ,as soon as the headlights are on ,no signal lights or hazzard, gonna check all grounds this weekend .

any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

sylvio

It's amazing how common this problem is.

I have been struggling to sort it out too. Cleaned contacts, new lights etc....

on my '71 2002.

Thanks for the link Algon!! definitely going to try that advice. It makes sense that resistance would build up over time in the old wiring, and perhaps the stock flasher is too sensitive to it.

If an electronic flasher is the answer, one could see it as an upgrade akin to a Pertronix for the indicator circuit.

April '71 2002 LHD - hard won daily driver

subscribing... for i too have the same problem with my '73.

one other observation i have is that i can cause the "B" light to flash while signaling by slightly wiggling the indicator stalk- so i'd been semi-suspecting the switch itself, and mean to take it out, explore it with a multimeter.

I've got the electronic flasher but I'm working all weekend. I'll post my results when I get the flasher in maybe next week. Please let us know what you find at the switch. My switch is a little flimsy from age, I should likely replace it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced my flasher with an electronic flasher can. That fixed my single flash only issue at the dash indicator light. Flasher speed is good. Does have strange feature though. When you turn the turn signal off at the stalk, the indicator on the instrument cluster gives an extra flash and a half! Yes one full blink and one partial. Quirky but I kinda like it. Almost goes with the stalk being on the right side of the column! I still need a good 1971 turn signal / wiper switch. Mine works but feels very weak. Anyone have a good used one that's not too expensive?

algon

• 4 weeks later...

I was browsing around on yonder shores, on the UK '02 forum the other day and found this little tweak on the turn signal wires.

'wire a 6.8 ohm resistor in parallel with the indicator bulb in the boot(trunk), all this does is draw about 10W of extra current through the circuit, which if all the bulbs are good should be more than enough to get the relay working again.'

Here's the link : http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3820

Anyone tried this ?

I haven't tried this yet myself, as my dash indicator light miraculously started working. But of course that could all change again...in which case I'll give it a bash.

April '71 2002 LHD - hard won daily driver

Guest Anonymous

in my experience the problem is almost always the flasher unit which is mounted near the hood release handle. It is grounded to the side wall without a ground wire, just metal on metal contact. Sometimes it works better if you just rotate it back and forth, essentially scratching a cleaner ground between it and the sidewall.

I fought this problem as well (hazards work, but turn signal would die after one or 2 blinks and then stopped altogether. Initially, I thought it was loose contact at the relay and figdeting with it seeme to clear up the problem, but it came back and finally no amount of futzing with the connections helped.

Tried new relay - no use.

Then solved it (at least for me). The problem was the contacts inside the turn signal switch. I don't recall the exact combination of things I tried to clean it, but it involved spraying electrical contact cleaner as well as running some sandpaper between the contacts inside the housing. Has worked just fine for a 2-3months since the "fix."

Byas

• Like 1