• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove rear view mirror

It took me a while browsing my searches to confirm how to remove the rear view mirror from a 2002. Mine is a 74 model. So I figured I'd make a simple post that says, "yes, indeed; you just grab it and pull toward you with a little downward motion." I had to have it confirmed on three different threads before I had the balls to do it. There's no set screw, no anything, just two balls and a spring. So see, the balls to do it are actually already there. Here's a pic:

post-1443-13667662666334_thumb.jpg

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

Yup, the mirrors all mount the same for pretty much all BMWs up to the early 90s (and maybe further). I'm running an e30 maplight mirror in mine.

Getting it back in is more interesting, but fairly straightforward if you put one "ball" on the edge of the mount hole and depress it before pushing the other side in.

oil yer balls while you have it off - it'll

pop off-n-on like butta in the future

The easier it is to pop off my balls, the better

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

how do you think i snapped mine ha ha

Gadzooks! That's what I was afraid of the whole time. It takes some nerve to do, trusting the instructions of others. But I'm glad this site was helpful (always is); nowhere else will you find instructions on how to do this.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

Just a note on the early 1967 1600 had a different style mirror. It slides in from the front. I have only seen one of these and we removed the rear view mirror after removing the windshield and reinstalled before putting the windsheild in. I am note sure if it can be removed with the windsheild in.

Mark