• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 BMW 2002 Classic Fully Restored $29000 NoHo CA

Robertrob85

Why do some here rip our cars looking for the slightest blemishes?

amen & bless you

Please note that I'm ripping on the seller, not the car. The car is sweet. It has a few easy-to-fix issues, but the seller is misrepresenting the car, demonstrating ignorance of the terminology, and either demonstrating ignorance of the current market price, or intentionally misleading potential buyers. The seller uses the phrases "fully restored" and "completely restored and rebuilt with original parts." How is that car a restoration? A restoration of what? It's an extensively modified 2002 with a misleading Hartge emblem. It has some parts that first became available in the 2000's, a paint job that's not an original color, and though the paint looks great, the body panels, hood and glove compartment weren't assembled with the level of expertise that I would expect from "qualified experts." Hell, I've done a better job aligning the body panels, hood and glove compartment on my car and I'm an unqualified jackass.

There's nothing Hartge about the car in the photos or description except the emblem on the rear panel. The seller might as well have put on a turbo, ALPINA, Schnitzer, or Mercedes badge. This is equivalent to putting an M badge on a base model 3 series because you've added M-style pedal covers. It's cheesy, it's misleading, and it doesn't add value to the car, unless you really, gotta have a Hartge badge, in which case you might add $50 for the badge.

The seller listed a price and provided a description and photos in an attempt to justify that price. The car isn't a rare version of a 2002, and isn't noted as being otherwise remarkable. So the price justification is apparently based on the components and/or the quality/condition of the car. The components aren't rare, and nothing in the description or photos indicates that there's something special about the components that would justify a buyer paying an inordinate amount for them, individually or in conjunction with each other. As for the quality of the build, it has a great looking paint job, an apparently upgraded suspension, very nice interior, Weber 38/38, strut brace, big brakes, nice wheels...but nothing that would justify a price that's at least twice the going rate for a nicely modified 2002 in good condition. And as I noted above, the build quality demonstrated by the photos doesn't lend credibility to the seller's claims of value.

Do either of you really believe that the car in the Craigslist ad is worth $29,000 in today's market? If so, on what evidence are you basing that belief? Can you show me several other base model 2002s--not tiis, tis, Alpinas, Baurs, or other rare versions--that have been modified to a similar extent, that have actually sold for $29,000 in the past year? I haven't seen any heavily modified base model 2002s sell for half of that in the past 3 years since I joined the forum.

blah blah blah blah BLAH

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

For 29 large you think you would have found a different place for the fuel pump instead of drilling holes in the fender well of all places.

The cheesy plastic fuel filter with Pep Boys fuel lines is a nice touch as well!

Can I keep the Mikey Spice CD too?

Keepin' it Classy