• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Tanks ?

rdeeble

Incorrect. I don't know about the 1600s, but the early 2002 tanks differ slightly from the later models. The later tanks have a provision for a fuel return along with a different filler neck. Also, one of the mounting screws is in a different location on the later cars owing to the increased structure in the trunk of the later cars.

That said, I have a later tank in my '72. They all do fit the rough opening in the trunk. I needed the fuel return since I upgraded to EFI, and honestly my friend Russ had it sitting around and it cost me a 12-pack. I had it restored at a local shop for about $300 and it's good as new.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

If you are asking about a tank for one of your 76s, you need a tank from a 74-76 carb model only. The filler neck is unique from the early cars and the location of the passenger side floor mounting holes are not a match. The very early tanks have no provision for a return line, the long filler neck tube also vents to the atmosphere. We need source tank year/make/model and destination vehicle to confirm fitment.

--> 1968 2002 <--

differences, later cars have slightly larger tanks--they hold about a gallon more. Turbo tanks are even larger and require a raised trunk floor. And of course tii tanks have a completely different opening for the sender unit/fuel pickup line.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A fuel tank for the pre-1968's would not have a drain plug at the bottom of the tank. The structural grooves at the bottom of the tank would also be different with the presence of a small circle of radial grooves in addition to the parallel ones.

1968 BMW 1600