• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hella Fogs and Driving Lamps Mounted

Hellrot.

got the Hella 500 Driving lamps and Hella 500 Fog lamps mounted. I went with the 2002faq suggestion of fogs on the outside and driving lamps on the inside. Looks good, and cant wait to see the lights at night.

The light installer found a wire that was grounding itself while installing which has solved all the electrical gremlins too! Bonus! No more blown fuses.

We have white Hella covers to go on as well.

b87340aa.jpg

• 11 months later...

How did you mount the fogs? Did you drill holes in the bumper or use mounting brackets? Also, did you have to go to a high-output alternator? I have a pair of Hella 500s that I'm going to mount on my car and I'm trying to decide between brackets and drilling. my car is a big bumper 74.

mike tunney

stock alt fine....assume you used separate wiring harness and relays for each set of lights.  did you trigger the driving lights off the high beam tap on left side of stock headlight harness and fog lights off the tap on the right side of the headlight harness? that is right way to do it so the driving lights only go on with the high beams and fogs only go on with the low beams.  

2xM3

the stock connector should only be used to trigger a relay, NOT to power any lights.  the wiring for aux lights has been covered many times and diagrams have been posted.  there are companies that sell pre-made harnesses.  that is what Jim used, I made my own.

2xM3

stock alt fine....assume you used separate wiring harness and relays for each set of lights.  did you trigger the driving lights off the high beam tap on left side of stock headlight harness and fog lights off the tap on the right side of the headlight harness? that is right way to do it so the driving lights only go on with the high beams and fogs only go on with the low beams.  

I plan to use the stock the switch on the dash (faux pull). I saw in another thread that you replied to that you can swap that fake knob for one from a parted out car since they all look the same. My lights came with relays and I did find some wiring schematics in old threads. I'll dig around some more before I get started with the install. I just wanted to find out if my stock alt was powerful enough to run the second set of lights and if there was an alternate to drilling the bumper. Pierre's brackets look like the way to go. Anyone have a spare knob they want to sell?  ;)

mike tunney

To be brutally honest, I rarely have to use the driving lamps after I installed H4 headlights and a complete harness with relays (high/low beams) from Susquehanna Motorsports.  The aux. lamps are there mainly for looks. The 69 project is only getting H4 lamps.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

As mentioned above, the Hella 500 do not need an upgraded alternator but there are a couple of assumptions.

The Hella lights use a 55 or 60W bulb.  The low beams should be running 55W.  Those two together are fine.  (total: 220-230W)

But if you replace the bulbs with 100W, (total is now 400W) and you have a 500W amp blasting, and you are going down the road in rain at night, with wipers on, lights blazing and the fan on full speed, your poor alternator will complain.

And of course, use relays.

And I have a pull switch off an E21.  It will fit but the knob will not match.  The 2002 has a silver center and the E21 is all black.  You will need the matching knob which you most likely have on your car anyway.  They just screw right off and on.  $10 for the switch if you get the brackets.

Cheers.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

+1

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)