• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: For Sale 1979 Audi 5000

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm selling a 1979 Audi 5000 that I bought brand new. Silver on blue interior. 5 speed manual, power locks, windows and seats, seats are heated and are leather. Power sunroof and antenna. Car has A/C which blows cold air. Oil changes every 3000 miles. Engine runs fine, no smoke or noises. Rebuilt transaxle installed approx 60,000 miles ago. The car is in great shape, I've fixed or replaced just about everything in this car over the past 33 years and many items more than once. Body is in good condition. No rust or major dings or scratches and the paint still shines (garaged from day one). Interior is good as well. Driver seat is a little flat and does have a seam split but the rest of the seats are fine. Odometer has 367,000 miles. The car is rare at this point, I never see one on the road anymore. This is the original boxy 5000 with the round headlights. $3400 b/o. email Frederick at fredATS2@comcast.net. The car is located near Flagstaff, AZ. Would consider trade for an 02, something in road worthy condition. I will try to get some pictures up soon.

This car brings back memories! In the Mid '80's, I was an apprentice mechanic for a foreign car shop (grease monkey) in Old Town Alexandria (VA). One day, I was told to ride along with another worker in the tow truck (Ford chassis with Holmes 440) to retrieve an Audi 5000 (green exterior, round headlights) that wouldn't start in the parking garage of the United Way building. We were able to get the Audi running so I drove it back to the shop. On the way, a triple white VW Rabbit cabriolet from Texas blew thru a stop sign and t-boned me going about 30 mph. I wasn't wearing a seat belt so the impact to the passenger side threw me into the passenger seat (over the console). I hit my hand on the windshield and my head on the side window. The car was still in drive and the RF strut was bent. The car went over a curb, clipped a fire hydrant and stopped just short of hitting a brand new European delivery Mercedes parked on the street. Hearing the crash, the M-B owner came out of his townhouse in a robe and was thankful I hadn't hit his car - didn't ask how I was though.

The VW occupants were bloody and taken to the hospital. I sat in the back of a cramped police cruiser while my head and hand were hurting. We towed both vehicles back to the shop (I have a Polaroid picture somewhere) and went back to work! My hand really hurt and swelled up, so I went to the doctor for some X-rays. I had a chipped bone and they pulverized it by ultrasonic waves.

I never saw or heard from the VW couple after the accident. I have worn seat belts ever since that accident.

Good luck with the sale of the Audi. The older ones are pretty tough. The Audi 100LS and Fox - not so much.

Buckle up!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”