• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration Worth? 1976 2002

Gravity

I met this guy today and he wants $6500 for a 1976 2002. It is pretty dirty and there are some bad rust spots behind the sunroof. The rest of the car looks decent and he claims it was running 2 years ago when he prepped it for storage. He meant to restore it but never got around to it. Allegedly, the car was owned by a rockstar in AZ and he got it from the star's broker.

Here's a link to the pics:

http://www.louisianalocations.com/Cars/1976-BMW-2002-CLASSIC/24108018_HKSmBg

The shock towers are good, the floor pans are good, the dash is cracked and the trunk pans are solid.

thanks,

Gravity

For the condition, he may be a bit optimistic. There are some great cars available that may not need a resto in that price range.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Needs a roof. Half-assed paint job throughout. Lack of pedals and inattention under the hood are red flags to me.

The '67 1600 on the for sale page here is a better deal IMO.

GL,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I met this guy today and he wants $6500 for a 1976 2002. It is pretty dirty and there are some bad rust spots behind the sunroof. The rest of the car looks decent and he claims it was running 2 years ago when he prepped it for storage. He meant to restore it but never got around to it. Allegedly, the car was owned by a rockstar in AZ and he got it from the star's broker.

Here's a link to the pics:

http://www.louisianalocations.com/Cars/1976-BMW-2002-CLASSIC/24108018_HKSmBg

The shock towers are good, the floor pans are good, the dash is cracked and the trunk pans are solid.

thanks,

Gravity

sorry dude thats not a good deal by any stretch.

i just sold my california 1973 2002 for 5500. considering around these tend to go for more money, hes very optimistic. Tell the guy that a 1976 02 can be purchased in california for pennies on the dollar and bs driven/shipped over still saving you.dough. if anything you got a better chance of finding a rust free sunroof car.

keep in mind 76's received more smog equipment.

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Agree with Ray.

Seeing the rust through behind the sunroof, and knowing what they can be like on the inside of sunroof cars......that roof is toast.

Could make it into a Cabrio!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

That's great feedback. It's not what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear. I really appreciate you each taking the time to give me your opinion. It sounds like the roof is not recoverable for a reasonable cost and the car is not a project that a DIY'r would happily take on.

I'll keep looking for a car that is in a little better condition.

Again, thanks.

the hard truth in 02 hunting:

this 'car?'

Ran when parked

a car not running is a car not taken car of-

and for how long has that been?

how can you road test it?

it does not run!

mucho rust lurking under the COMPLETE overspray job

Good points

- includes all emission controls (probably inop and components rotted out

or seized)

- includes Air Conditioning (probably needs complete replacement)

- 2 gas filters - what's that telling you ?

$6,000+ gets you a car without rust, runs without any issues,

a clean interior with excellent seats and all the trim, including

a working gas pedal!

and don't forget - a car needs BRAKES, Pedal controls,

Steering, Suspension, and Electrics to drive.

What's lurking under that silver coating?

this might be a $600 car - and that would be generous to the seller

to be done with it.

GADS!!!

IMG6846-S.jpg

IMG9861-S.jpg

IMG6821-S.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

"Allegedly, the car was owned by a rockstar in AZ and he got it from the star's broker."

Haha, ha, hahaha, ha, haha, hee, hehe.

Brush my teeth and call me a cynic. I am a bit jaded.

Anytime someone gives me a line like this, I wouldn't buy their car if they held a gun to my head.

As a indication of how low some people will stoop and apologies to people that actually lost loved ones. When you deal with people that are selling used cars you often run into the 'owned by famous' stored it for my son who was killed in [Vietnam, Gulf War, ...]. By my estimate there are probably close to a million famous people that for some reason owned junk cars and the same number of war casualties and died young from cancer.

There seems to be a correlation between buying a junk car, getting cancer in your 20s, dying, and leaving a young wife and two kids behind.

That being said http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,330398/highlight,marley/