• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yes...I admit it. Ran out of gas today.

winstonindy

Yes I am a moron. Well not completely. My odometer & trip meter are inop at the moment, and my gas tank has a leak so I don't fill it.

I was headed to the dreaded carpool line today & the 02 crapped out on the side of the road about 1 mile from my daughter's school.

Luckily a neighbor passed by and stopped...and offered to pick up my kid. Score 1.

Another neighbor came and picked me up so I could get my truck and gas. Score 2.

But yes....the first time IN MY LIFE I ran out of gas on the side of the road.

Truly embarrassed. Gas tank & all associated guages will be fixed as soon as I return from Monterey & Thunderhill.

i gotta say that it is a more than a bit scary that you were knowingly driving the car at all with a leaky gas tank. that is a huge safety issue...for not only you, but your kids and for those around the car. you need to park it until the tank is fixed.

2xM3

Ok, admission time- that's happened to me, too, when a neighbor's kid

was siphoning me and the gauge wasn't working...

I started carrying 2 gallons in the trunk...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yes I am a moron. Well not completely. My odometer & trip meter are inop at the moment, and my gas tank has a leak so I don't fill it.

I was headed to the dreaded carpool line today & the 02 crapped out on the side of the road about 1 mile from my daughter's school.

Luckily a neighbor passed by and stopped...and offered to pick up my kid. Score 1.

Another neighbor came and picked me up so I could get my truck and gas. Score 2.

But yes....the first time IN MY LIFE I ran out of gas on the side of the road.

Truly embarrassed. Gas tank & all associated guages will be fixed as soon as I return from Monterey & Thunderhill.

this is where a triple a membership is key. if not for this, use the four tows for project cars or road trips (just in case)

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

I guess your fuel level warning (red light) is not working, or you have an early '02.

there is a red warning light? I've never seen coming that on, although i thought the car would only run on gas fumes at that moment.

How early is early? 69? 70? 72?

I think it's '73 and up.

The red light is used for handbrake on, choke out, brake fluid level low and fuel level low. Although my Touring (Nov '73) UK market does not have the brake fluid level but the wires are there if I ever wanted to get the reservoir cap with the float and contacts.

Fuse 12.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Even more dangerous. Replace the tank and stop carrying loose gas in trunk. Your driving a bomb. Remember the Pinto. No more said.

umm, somehow I welded a sheetmetal tank structure into the rear crumple

zone? No, I DO remember the Pinto, and...

this was a Volvo 122. Kinda hard to make those much more dangerous than

they already are. And a plastic, sealed can secured in the trunk was probably

no more dangerous than having the thing quit on the wrong part of Rainier Ave...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

No fuel light on 74,75,76 us models.

To be honest, I have never checked it on my '76 cars. It works (or did do) on the Touring.

It's noted on the Fuse list (#12) stuck on the hood of my '76 Siena.

Maybe it's a "one fuse list suits all"?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

You may be able to restore the tank with a cleaning/coating kit from either POR15 or Eastwood if the leak isn't too bad. Then give it a good coat of rust convertor and paint like POR15 and Chassis Black. Mine came out great with the POR15 kit although it wasn't really leaking. I did it as a preventative measure. New tanks are expensive if you haven't checked. That's if they're available.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318