• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Introduction and Thanks

Jack_K

Hello all

A couple weeks ago I brought home my first 2002(and first car for that matter), a 1976 automatic in Anthracite Gray. I know, I know, the smog equipment and automatic transmission make this probably the least fun edition of the 2002, but this car is meant to be a daily driver for a short work commute and light highway driving on the weekends, so acceleration and top speed aren't as important. And it's still pretty fun. I did plenty of research before buying, including consulting the Haynes Manual and McCartney Restoration Guide, but the biggest help was reading through the FAQ's and forums on this site. So thanks for all your input and passion for these cars; it made my decision much easier.

I've included some pics below. This is the only 2002 I've come across with corduroy seats. Based on the McCartney guide, I believe this is not the lux interior, but the herringbone corduroy that was available starting in 74 or 75 on American models. Thanks again to everyone on this site. I'm sure I'll be posting plenty of questions soon, and hopefully a couple answers as I get to know the car better.

FrontBlur.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

d226c328.jpg

That's beautiful. An autotragic 76 as a daily driver sounds like a world of fun. One foot driving, nimble handling, and just enough power to keep things lively. As has been said a million times over, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Welcome to the gang!

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

at how nimble your automatic is on twisty roads if you manually shift it between second and third while driving...almost as much fun as a stick and not much slower...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

For whatever reason, not many US '02s had the corduroy or velour seats.

My Touring has the tan vinyl & corduroy material, but the driver seat corduroy wore out by 75k. I looked everywhere in Europe to find a replacement seat or material before bringing the car to the US, but to no avail. I did get some material from Timmer, but, unfortunately, it was way darker. I went and bought tan Recaros for the hell of it.

My rear seats are still "like new-ish".

So, look after the corduroy because it will be a bugger to replace.

post-22418-13667663443474_thumb.jpg

post-22418-13667663444565_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Welcome Jack, I also live in the LA area (Redondo Beach) and have an automatic, and bought mine for similar reasons as yourself about a year ago. I'd like to come check yours out sometime if time permits. I see you have the contact email disabled on your profile, but mine is webthread @ aol dot com if you'd like to meet up sometime. Best, Jay

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

Wow, that's a very clean interior. Nice find.

And no worries, 5-speed swaps aren't very difficult.... ; )

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice 76! One question, why's there no passenger side mirror? Our 76 and most that I've seen have one, and we added one to our 74... may want to consider it if it's a daily driver :P

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles