• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil thru oil cap

bnam

I drove my 74Tii this morning when I went for a run (2 miles each way to the trail). About an hour after coming back I went to check the engine oil level when I noticed a trail of oil from the oil cap down on to the cylinder head cover. It hadn't been there the previous night. Never had that happen before in the 6month/2K miles I've had the car.

Is this an indication of something going wrong? Or just a random occurence?

Byas

I'm assuming the cap was tight when you discovered this? If it was tight, check the inside of the cap, is there a gasket in there? If not, get a new cap.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Guest Anonymous

Marshall

From 002 salvage suggets that you take thw cap off wipe the gasket dry then put the cap back on. It seems to give a good seal....it worked for me

Ira

Making a new gasket may be your solution, if you don't want to replace the cap. Check the one in there for nicks, cracks, gouges, same goes for the seating surface on the valve cover, make sure that is not burred.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

over the years, and the rubber gasket tends to compress, allowing oil to escape through the no longer tight seal. You might try this trick:

Take the polyethelene lid from a deli or butter tub and cut a duplicate gasket using the original rubber one as a template. Install your poly gasket onto the oil cap first, followed by the rubber one. See if that tightens things up sufficiently. Tried that trick with my gas cap and not only did it tighten it up, but it made the cap much easier to remove.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

i had a similar issue on the touring when i first got it. after being stumped, i looked very closely at the top of the cap and noticed that the was a very very small hole. new cap solved the problem, although i did put a piece of duct tape on there as a temp solution.

"Helmut" '73 2002 Touring ~ verona red :: sold march 2013 - so sad :(

"Hans" '69 1600-2 ~ florida green :: sold september 2012 :(

1600_florida.jpg