• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q: Odd gasket material surrounding 1/71 spec deep headlamps?

I removed the driver's grill this weekend to clean out the radiator and do some cleaning and rustproofing down in the lower nose of my 1600. When I removed the grill, there was a very weathered gasket type material between the chrome filler eyebrows and the grill. These are long gone on my 68 02, but with only 47k miles, they have somehow survived on the 1600. They are very brittle and a chunk of the bottom section fell off when I removed the grill. The gasket doesn't show up on the parts diagram, has anyone seen or remember this? I assume they normally fall off over time and don't really serve a purpose. Thoughts?

6gy8w3.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

Our '71 had those when I became its caretaker about 10 years ago, but they were rapidly decaying and are now pretty much gone. They do seem like they would help to keep water from pooling in the grille buckets.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

had it too, and it had pretty well disintegrated by 1975 or so.

Suggestion on a replacement: go to a place that sells plumbing supplies and find some grey vinyl strips that are used at the bottom of shower stall doors to keep spray from leaking out under the door. It's the correct color and is easy to trim so it'll fit in the appropriate slot in the headlight retainer ring.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite