• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Spoiler Choices/Suggestions

Husker2002

I am thinking about installing a front spoiler on my 1970 and painting to match. I saw the Ireland spoiler, actually several of them, at the Mid America '02 Fest in Eureka Springs this past spring. Just curious if there are any other popular options. I like the looks of the IR spoiler, and also the price seems pretty fair as well. I am open to options and would entertain buying one that no one is using anymore. Since I will be painting is color isn't an issue and fair condition is fine. As I stated, if there are other options you prefer, please share.

Thanks in advance.

post-20579-13667663582089_thumb.jpg

D. Jeff Gomon   -  1970 BMW 2002  -  1972 BMW 2002tii
1991 BMW ///M5  -  2005 BMW 330Ci (ZHP)

2018 BMW X5 Diesel  -  2021 BMW ///M2 Competition

Thanks for the Kamei pic and link. I saw one of these at the same Mid America '02 Fest (see attached photo). The pictured car has the S14 and is absolutely stunning. Love the look, but I think I want to retain my front bumper and I don't think the Kamei allows for this.

post-2527-13667663584815_thumb.jpg

D. Jeff Gomon   -  1970 BMW 2002  -  1972 BMW 2002tii
1991 BMW ///M5  -  2005 BMW 330Ci (ZHP)

2018 BMW X5 Diesel  -  2021 BMW ///M2 Competition

The Kamei spoiler is designed to be installed without a front bumper. It has already has a "bumper" in it. I have seen it installed with a bumper but it's not recommended.

The look is a matter of preference. I make a fiberglass reproduction of the Kamei air dam and I have an Ireland spoiler on my 74 tii because I wanted to retain the front Euro bumper.

From a performance standpoint, the Kamei works a lot better at directing the air around the car. But you won't feel the benefit until you start hitting 80+ mph and need your car to handle at those speeds.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I am thinking about installing a front spoiler on my 1970 and painting to match.

I think the style pictured in your original post looks the best with a stock bumper configuration. Most of these I see used are cracked or have condition issues. It's best to buy new so you start with the best quality part and can make modifications as necessary for your particular application. Also when you eventually get chips, etc you don't see used Inca under fresh Agave, etc.

Also, since you are drilling holes in your front apron, make doubly sure you will be happy with the look long term. good luck!

--> 1968 2002 <--

When I had my car repainted I also searched around for a air dam. The IE version was the one that really stood out for me too. Very happy with it.

post-20579-13667663590148_thumb.jpeg

1974 BMW 2002

1989 BMW 325is

2011 Toyota RAV4 v6

yes, it is a reproduction Kamei - but it is FIBERGLASS, and i would love to have one in the original URETHANE...

Why? Pierre's fiberglass one is much better.

I have been running it on my daily for 4 years and it is still in great shape. My car is LOW and I've scrapped it more times than I car to admit and it hasn't cracked or broken.

His repro is a slam dunk, trust me. It is THICK and totally re-enforced.

yes, it is a reproduction Kamei - but it is FIBERGLASS, and i would love to have one in the original URETHANE...

I have been running it on my daily for 4 years and it is still in great shape. My car is LOW and I've scrapped it more times than I car to admit and it hasn't cracked or broken.

that is my concern - hitting something and blowing up the fiberglass. car will be a driver/track car, so i fully anticipate impacts with varous debris... plus the originals are urethane... i may still consider a fiberglass, but i really want a urethane one.

1988 BMW 325 - M52 swapped - Hilde.

1969 BMW 2002 - Griselda - 20VT coming soon...

"project blog" - www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com

I think Toby said it well a few years ago in regards to the IE piece .....

It fits.

In multiple places.

Try many, you might like them all.

It's ABS.

You can beat the shit out of it-

I did. Replaced the nose,

reused the air dam.

To paint, (DelStar) I used a vinyl prep agent

that 'softened' the ABS to let the paint bind better.

SEM brand, I think. Body shop guy said it worked,

and he was right.

It will get pecked up by rocks either way, but the

paint has held up pretty well.

t

Source: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,321778/view,previous/sid,bc1bd7598ca9d7230553e79a359cdb5a/

that is my concern - hitting something and blowing up the fiberglass. car will be a driver/track car, so i fully anticipate impacts with varous debris... plus the originals are urethane... i may still consider a fiberglass, but i really want a urethane one.

I have hit things, trust me, and the Pierre's spoiler is still in great shape. Honestly, it is a great piece and I don't bother to endorse something that I think would hurt my own reputation later on down the line...