• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing a 1972 automatic

quirkinator

I am going to try to sell Ivy because right now isn't the time to restore her, and I really need something that I can drive in the snow. I'll miss her dearly, but hopefully will find a great home for her. How do you go about pricing a somewhat rusty, but very mechanically-reliable automatic 1972 2002? Do I list her here? Craigslist? Ebay? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS - Does it up the price that I've just done a $5600 partial restoration in the trunk and rear quarter panels?

Stephanie

Ivy, '72 automatic 2002 / Veruca, '12 6-speed Nissan Versa Hatch

pics would be your best help..

I usually write off any money I have spent "doing stuff to it" short of an engine or trans rebuild. Even then I would only add a % of that fix/mod

look in the for sale section and poke around and try to find sonething close...

Looks pretty dang good to me. I agree with the the "drive a winter beater and keep it" comment.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Stephanie - I reviewed your pictures here and on eBay. I think Ivy has potential, but she has a long way to go. In general, there are a lot of nice things about your car, with the exception of the seat tears, the interior is very nice. It does need lots of body/prep work, especially on the roof and front lip and a decent respray to make it more presentable. Tack on new seals for the glass and probably door seals, better bumpers and "misc." and this is a real project. It would be very easy to put $7,500 to $10,000 in your car and it might be a $7,500 to $10,000 when finished. Some will disagree but the automatic trans does not help the value, but it does make it slightly easier for a 5 speed swap. I'm afraid you need to either punt and walk away at a large loss now or make a commitment to a partial restoration. I could be very wrong, but if you get an offer near your starting ebay price, I'd take it (if you REALLY need to sell)

If it were my car and I enjoyed it--I would keep it, locate better bumpers, strip the exterior, sand and sand like there is no tomorrow and then take it to a quickie paint job place (Maaco) and have them patch the nose and throw on a coat of green. Once you sort out the seat cushions and trunk items, and re-install all the brightwork and glass, you'd be left with a fun driver and not need to worry about total perfection. I think you could make it a more presentable daily driver for ~$2K.

Hope this info helps and good luck with whatever your decision becomes.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--