• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

insurance co for daily driver

timco98

I am looking for an insurance co that will insure a daily driver for my son. He is newly licensed and is working on my old 74 '02 wanting to get it back on the road. I have talked with Hagerty and they have a ton of restrictions and told me thay won't insure a daily driver. Infinity is who I have my tii insured with but again to many restrictions about where the car is stored, how many miles you can drive etc. Wondering who out there might have some suggestions. Who do you use to insure your daily driver? Thanks. I'm in NC

74 2002 tii

74 2002

85 535I

I'm insured under state farm to drive the 2002 as a daily, even though it is my mother's car. I have a 1998 Volvo. The BMW is the cheapest car on our insurance to insure. (I'm a new driver as well, got my license in May for my 17th birthday)

Hey, you're in Raleigh!

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Hagerty and other similar companies are extremely competitive on rate because they limit their risk. It's a numbers game--Let's face it, most people with a collector car bring it out once in a while to knock the dust off and the exposure to risk is fractional compared to the other 365 days a year. Daily driving a 40 year old car with a new driver behind the wheel is far more risky to insure so, #1 they won't take you and #2, the liklihood of an accident is very high and #3, the medical risk is high due to substandard (for 2012) vehicle protection systems/SRS/ABS/Traction Control, etc. I considered myself a good teen driver back in the day and still wrecked my mom's Ford twice. They both were not my fault, but had I learned real world avoidance techniques taught now by the Street Survival program I'm sure I would have avoided both collisions 100%

My advice is go to your standard insurance AGENT and get the car insured for an agreed upon value. Classify the car as pleasure only, low miles, and it may make sense to not have your child listed as the primary driver. My other advice to anyone with teen driver's they care about is to pay for a $75 gift registration and get them to a Tire Rack Street Survival School in their area. http://streetsurvival.org/

--> 1968 2002 <--

whomever you use, don't use Progressive, especially with an "old" car like the 2002. they will seem great until you file a claim (your fault or not) and then the real insurance company comes out. they will give you BELOW book value, as they use "market value of similar cars" to base their value off of. i had a claim with them regarding a car that i had $21k in reciepts for, and they ended up only offering me $1800 (yes- 1800) for it, with a $400 buyback "since i could resuse the engine and stuff anyway" - even after 2 independent appraisals and fighting them with GA law...

i dropped them, and have had USAA since. they are even nicer, and based on feedback from friends that have had claims, really go above and beyond regarding payout and service.

NO collector car/agreed value insurance will insure a daily driver. you could perhaps insure him on another vehicle to be his "daily" and insure the 2002 as a collector/weekend car then....

1988 BMW 325 - M52 swapped - Hilde.

1969 BMW 2002 - Griselda - 20VT coming soon...

"project blog" - www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com

I've had a collision only policy on my '73 with State Farm since I bought it in '01. Pretty cheap even when it was my daily driver. I'm guessing here, but I think around $250/yr. Since I only drive the car maybe once a week now, I talked to them about it and they gave me a "collector car" rate which is even lower but does have annual mileage restrictions, but in the last 6 years they have never asked for a reading. Besides, my odo doesn't work!

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

they will seem great until you file a claim (your fault or not) and then the real insurance company comes out. they will give you BELOW book value, as they use "market value of similar cars" to base their value off of.

Thanks for sharing this, I need to check into this with my policy. They (state farm) mentioned that with a classic policy like Hagerty, you have an agreed upon value. With their policy they go by blue book value, and that doesn't seem to even go back to the 70's. I'd hate to find out that I'm paying three times as much for less coverage in the event it's totalled.

After searching a few different companies I ended up with Farmer's. The key reasons were as follows: Doesn't require it to be in a locked garage. Would do an agreed value policy. Will offer comprehensive coverage, so if I screw up I'm still covered, as well as theft, etc... Will cover "driving school" track days as long as I'm not racing.

The insurance isn't super cheap, but I like having each of the above elements and I wasn't able to find that combination elsewhere, most notably the driving school component.

Note that I've not had to file a claim to date, so who knows how they'll be if/when the time comes. Hopefully I never find out.

I've been with Farmers for years. They've always been excellent with claims.

One time, when I was at fault (long ago), the agent dropped the ball and didn't do his job with the other person. I called Farmers state office, and they had the lady in a rental car the same day, and I had a new agent two weeks later. The sleeze bag called me a couple weeks after that and tried to sell me cheaper insurance, even though he "wasn't supposed to contact any old clients".

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Yes, we should! We need to have a Triangle get-together. I know of Al (Bluedevils), Mike (Oldfahrt), Mike Pugh, you and I. Our car's trekking up to Raleigh to Dedrick Kock's Shade Tree Garage, it's got a nasty engine noise.

Let me know when's a good time- I start my senior year tomorrow.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles