• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

adjusted the turn signal self-cancel tab, now TS no workie

jerry

if i read the many posts on turn signals, it is my understanding that the turn signal self-cancelling tab located on the steering column is supposed to line up directly against the springy lever arm on the turn signal switch. i'm dealing with a 6-fuse car with the TS mounted on the right, btw. i originally had it mounted at the 9 o'clock position and it did not self-cancel as intended, but my TS's worked. now that i've moved it to the 3 o'clock position the TS doesn't work and the feel of the TS stalk is different.

does my TS need to be moved outwards, assuming i can do that?

what am i missing here? besides functionality.

thanks in advance

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

No, it should be in the 3:00 position. If it isn't, one turn direction will cancel earlier than the other - sometimes annoyingly so, with just a slight turn of the wheel.

Operate the cancel by moving the arm by hand and you will see how things need to line up, and how much the tab needs to push on the arm to work properly.

No, it should be in the 3:00 position. If it isn't, one turn direction will cancel earlier than the other - sometimes annoyingly so, with just a slight turn of the wheel.

Operate the cancel by moving the arm by hand and you will see how things need to line up, and how much the tab needs to push on the arm to work properly.

You are probably right. I think my 73tii has the cancellation tab/collar in the 3 o'clock position. I recall setting the clearance between it and the TS finger per the Blue book.

pics11709023.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I recall setting the clearance between it and the TS finger per the Blue book.

pics11709023.jpg

hummmm, the clearance may explain my quandary. while fiddling with it i noticed that my No.5 fuse shorted. i replaced it. it appears that a short cooling down period was necessary before my flasher worked (at least while i observed that it functioned by grounding against the steering column. is that normal? i will readjust the distance as shown. thanks for posting.

& 1 special alfa

• 2 weeks later...

i adjusted my TS tab as shown in the photo above, 0.012in clearance between the TS tab and the steering arm tab.

it now functions as it should. i learn something new about these cars all the time.

now if i could just get my left-side front turn signal to function....

& 1 special alfa

i adjusted my TS tab as shown in the photo above, 0.012in clearance between the TS tab and the steering arm tab.

it now functions as it should. i learn something new about these cars all the time.

now if i could just get my left-side front turn signal to function....

Glad my newbieness could help Justin. How rusty are your TS sockets?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"