• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii Euro Pics

saaron

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing pictures of your great car. I'd like to find one of those rear license plate mounts for my '69.

The device mounted on the top bolt of the coil looks like a noise suppressor. Very similar to the one mounted on the back of the alternator. I believe that, along with the hood ground strap help reduce noise picked up by the radio.

78A165CC.jpg

I've never seen a radio seek/scan button on the floor like that. Early VW Beetles and some American cars had the dimmer switch on the floorboard for left foot activation.

Does your car have the European gas tank vent hose?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Some sort of block heater plug, I think.

IMG_1995.jpg

This looks like a washer fluid pump.. not sure though. Does the VDO bottle on the left still have the pump?

Yep. Appears to be a heater: http://calixgroup.se/index_eng.php

Was it a northern European car?

It's a cool car-- thanks for posting pics.

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

In the picture of your ignition parts, note two things Euro:

1. Absence of the starter by-pass relay on the firewall

2. Ground from the valve cover to the body.

3. Does yours have a ground on the front of the hood to the body?

On the dash:

1. No dash lettering, knobs have pictures on them

Now, the interesting things are the stickers, those that are unique to Euro cars and those that are not on US cars. Do you have those shots?

Euro dash will also have German on the vent knob plate and heater/fan knob plate.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

A few replies to some questions and comments:

jgerock -

The bottle next to the block heater plug is a cheap radiator overflow that my father put on the car in about '88. We thought it might over-heat when we first got it. It never really did. But I never took the bottle out. So the pic from that angle is misleading. I'll look for the gas tank vent hose. I think it has it.

retrogroucher -

The car was delivered to Munich to a Swiss owner, so yes, it lived in northern Europe when it was new; hence the block heater. I bought it from a German couple that were the second owners. They lived in Germany and Paris prior to moving to the Chicago area, where I bought it in '87. They brought it into the US in about 1984. They had to switch out the gauge cluster - too bad. I at least put the correct style cluster in (from an "era" perspective - it had the woodgrain version when I bought it), even though it doesn't have the low fuel light arrangement the euro cluster has. So it is partly right and partly not right as it sits.

bluedevils -

I can take some pics of the seatbelts later today. They are Klippans, I think.

As far as the seek button on the floor, when I first bought the car, I thought it was a high-beam switch or something related to the lights. I called the people I bought it from and they told me what it was. They explained that when you're driving on the autobahn you don't want to be looking down at your radio. Makes sense. They also gave my advice on driving it, such as "always be in a gear lower than what you think you should be in...if you think you should be in third, you should be in second." I think they were concerned I'd be lugging it around town in 4th!

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

They had to switch out the gauge cluster - too bad. I at least put the correct style cluster in (from an "era" perspective - it had the woodgrain version when I bought it), even though it doesn't have the low fuel light arrangement the euro cluster has. So it is partly right and partly not right as it sits.

I never knew Euro 02 cluster's had a low fuel light. I used to own a 75 Euro spec 1802 and never remember a low fuel light. My Euro spec E3 2800 (built in 69) has a low fuel light. I never noticed a low fuel light on my pre wood grain (71-73) Euro cluster that I have in my parts bin. Can anyone tell me where the low fuel light is on a Euro 02 Cluster? Is this unique to 2002's and did 1602/1802 clusters come without the low fuel light? 1602 & 1802 had a clock in place of the tach, tach's were optional on the 1602 & 1802, only 2002's, ti/tii/turbo's came standard with a tach. I know that the Euro cluster doesn't have the low brake fluid light that the US spec cars have. Still looking for a 220KPH cross-hair speedo to put in my Euro cluster. When found, it will then go into my tii.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Here are the seatbelt pics (they are Klippans):

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

And GMan, the only way I found out about the low fuel light was that my car has an extra wire where it plugs into the fuel gauge sender unit - you can see in this pic...there is an "extra" wire that is not connected to anything. Bill Williams told me its for the low fuel light, and the light is where the brake warning light is on the US cars. That's where I learned about that.

Perhaps this pic also answers JGerock's question re vent tube?

IMG_2025.jpg

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I did not go back to see what vent tube Jim references but he may be talking about the vent tube that comes off of the boot up on the rear quarter panel. The Euro fuel line vent is sometimes a metal tube that goes from the boot to a hole in the middle/rear of the trunk and vents through a pyramidal shaped grommet to the outside.

US models vent that boot to the canister under the rear parcel shelf.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I did not go back to see what vent tube Jim references but he may be talking about the vent tube that comes off of the boot up on the rear quarter panel. The Euro fuel line vent is sometimes a metal tube that goes from the boot to a hole in the middle/rear of the trunk and vents through a pyramidal shaped grommet to the outside.

US models vent that boot to the canister under the rear parcel shelf.

Yes - that is the one. My '69 has a metal tube from the filler neck that pokes thru the funny grommet in the trunk floor. A hard plastic flexible line could also be used. Just curious about yours.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"