• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 bmw 2002 tii Help Please

banshee59

Since 2nd and 4th are both engaged with the shift lever moved toward the rear of the car, I would first suspect something going on with the shift linkage platform or engine mounts. Could be one or a combination of several things including broken or worn out brackets, rubber bushings, etc.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

This might be too simple but My 74tii had the same problem right after installing a new shift boot. It turns out the new "OE" rubber boot was too stiff causing the shifter to pop out of gear only on deceleration. Same symptoms as yours. After removing the rubber boot and installing a new soft "leather like" boot the problem went away. Check your boot before doing anything major.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem - pops out of 2nd and 4th gear after installation of new shift boot.

It does seem like my shifter is too far back in neutral, i.e., the baseline adjustment is off.  In other words, if the transmission is in 1st or 3rd, the shifter seems like it should be in neutral, and in 2nd or 4th, it's tilted very far back.

Is there any way of adjusting the linkage to move the shifter further forward?