• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat blowing into passenger compartment

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a new to me 1976 '02. With no fan or heat on, as soon as my car warms up I have heat blasting on my feet and my passenger's feet. I mean really really hot. My car is not overheating. If I switch the defrost on, I get a nice blast on my face and a lesser blast on my feet. I have no coolant leaks interior or exterior. All switches are off or in the coolest position possible. The air is not working and all of those switches are also off. I have already replaced the water pump and thermostat due to a leaky water pump. Any suggestions for what to try or investigate? I will probably love this problem in the winter, but not so much when it is 90+.

Guest Anonymous
If you mean that it does this while moving, the heater box foam has deteriorated and the flaps do not seal. Mine does the same thing. HOT feet in the summer tiiiiime.

Yes, while moving.

Your thought is that a rebuild of the heater box should solve my problem...

Guest Anonymous
Yes. -Mine too.. dammit.

Thanks for the idea. I will look into it. I fear it will be complicated, but I can't handle the heat in flip flops.

Your heater valve is toast.

check the coolant hose on the cab side of the heater valve and if the hose is hot your valve is always open regardless of the lever setting in the cab.

Steve Blunt sells a heater valve repair kit.

73 TII Inka

check the coolant hose on the cab side of the heater valve and if the hose is hot your valve is always open regardless of the lever setting in the cab.

+1

I would start here before you attempt to remove/replace the heater box.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Guest Anonymous

+1

I would start here before you attempt to remove/replace the heater box.

Rebuilt the heater valve today. The O rings looked OK but replaced them anyway. The lever was set to full on, but the valve was at about 3/4 on and therefore the other position was not full off. Fixed now. We shall see how it is tomorrow. Next step is to try to replace the foam without removing the box. Wish me luck.