• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition issue

mrdew

Long story short I took an engine out of a car that was running an put it into another chassis. I initially had the firing order wrong but the vehicle would crank and backfire out of the exhaust every now and then.

After figuring out that I had the wrong firing order (just a dumb mistake) I fixed it so that the engine was on time and firing in the correct order and I would occasionally get the sound of it catching every now and then. Shortly after I was not getting anything from the car, it just cranks.

So I went through the system:

-the dizzy (Ireland engineering electric ignition) is giving spark

-I swapped dizzys just to see if it would make a difference and it did not

-I swapped the coils (both blue) and no issues both coils fell within manufacturer specs for testing.

-I replaced the plugs because the original ones in the vehicle were fouled with fuel.

-the engine cranks evenly (compression is good...etc)

I am just stuck, I have tried everything I could think of including putting the system out of time trying to get a back fire out of it with no luck. Any ideas? It literally just stopped giving me any hope in the middle of working on the car.

air, fuel and fire is all you need.

starting with fire, how did you verify that you are getting spark to the spark plugs?

since the engine worked before, i'm gonna assume you've got air in the form of decent compression.

that leaves us with fuel, did you verify that you are not flooding the engine, or starving it?

as for timing, did you align the distributor when the camshaft is at TDC on No.1 piston?

let us know and we can post suggestions as they occur to us...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa