• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first timer timing question, is OT what i want to see?

1971Ginger

This is how i time the motor. (This is for a 2002 not a Tii)

If you have a vacuum advance distributor, pull of the vacuum line and plug it with a screw.

Adjust idle screw to get the car to idle at 1500.

Using a timing light look for the BB on the flywheel through the viewing hole on the transmission. (Note the BB is on the front side of the flywheel so you need to be looking at the front edge of the timing hole to see it!!!)

slowly move the distributor forwards and backwards until you see the BB in the viewing hole. You can also time the motor by ear. If the motor starts to stumble you have moved the distributor too far. Also the idle speed will change as you rotate the distributor, so when you find the BB you need to triple check the idle is at 1500.

Once you see the BB and idle is at 1500, the motor is timed. Reattach the vacuum advance hose and drop idle down to around 850 and go drive the car.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

that is how I had always done it until recently.  but once you can build your own curves, its all up in the air..

25 degrees advanced at 1500 RPM.

which is where the book says advance should be.. it seems.

post-34909-0-57383900-1387555839_thumb.j

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002