• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lots of questions with no answers. please help me out!

Robotin

so after tearing down my engine. and getting some professional advice. it is done. local machine shop said they would need to completely rebore the block. and i dont wannt wanna pay that much for the larger pistons.

some pix to show the damage.

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

i was hoping to find another engine i could just "drop in and go". but to no avail.

but i do have a hook up on a 320i engine. it has a 1,8i head. i was hoping i could just use that block and head. and just swap all my top end stuff over to it. (i dont want to convert it to EFI) so would it be posssible to just swap all my top end stuff over to the 1,8i head. but i noticed the fuel injection holes are on the head. so how would i go about getting those blocked?

i am brand new to the 2002 game, and am trying to understand all of my options right now. the problem is i need this car to run like yesterday. getting to work in very hard without a car.

i have a budget but want to do it right. not one to cut corners.

please help!!

i did post a WTB. and no response.

ive also thought. what about the 320i block. with the e30 head? becuase the e30 head doesnt have the injection ports.

sorry about all the questions. but i have gotten no definitive answers. and like i said. i am new to the 2002 game.

i have loved the 2002's for years. and hav e finally gotten one. and i am so happy. but i am most distressed that i am not able to drive it right now.

i gone around to a few yards this week. and found 3 e21 320i's. and 1 2002 with the block still in it, but the head was off and it looked as if it had been that way for a while. the cylinder walls had a few light rust spots on it. but i think i could hone it. and i would b good. but then i have to find a head. and i would like to get another 121 head. but from what i have been told. they are hard to find. and are on the pricey side.

i have the hook up on an e30 head for super cheap. what would i need to do to make that head work?

from what i read i would need to put the 2002 cam in it. but is that all?

i really want to keep this car carburated. i love carbs.

I might be able to help out if you can help me out a little:

1) Where in CA are you located

2) Do you want to assemble/build a working motor of your own spec

3) Are you looking for any complete long block (top & bottom end) to swap

I have a 2.0 e21 engine and with your 2002 oil pan and mounts it will drop right in and with a few bits changed over for good measure. The good thing here is that the distributor turns the correct direction for a 2002.

Located in Sacramento and Bay Area.

925-437-8877

But what do I know

i will definetly check out that ebay ad.

maybe its just me. but isnt $2,000 kind of a lot for a m10?

ive seen complete m10s from e30s go for like $300.

i am in the Los Angeles Area.

i would love to just rebuild a motor. or just minor budget upgrades.

like if there are any cool OEM+ mods.

other than that. i really just want a strong running motor.

i would love to just rebuild a motor

That's a $4000 operation, bare minimum.

You won't find a set of used pistons that are worth re- using

and that runs you into boring.

At that point, everything else needs to be redone, since, well,

you just dropped over a grand on the pistons and machine work,

an oil pump's $400 now....

yadda yadda....

While a used longblock with decent compression shouldn't

cost you over $500 around here... IF you can find one.

I dunno about LA.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

i figured someone who recently did a motor swap would be willing to sell me their block and head. all my other things r fine. its just the block and my head that are no good. i would be fine with redoing some rod bearings or valve stem seals. but i dont want to buy a block that i would need to erbore. if i wanted to do that i would just keep my old block.

would reboring the block and getting the oversized pistons change the displacement at all? would i see any power gain out of that?

I have a motor that I pulled from my car 3weeks ago. It runs. Compression is 105-115 psi and even across cylinders. That is on the low side. Vacuum is steady so it is most likely tired rings and not the head. 121 head. Pulled well enough, no smoke.

I am willing to sell the longblock if you go that route. Less the flywheel. AS-IS

mudchemist at h o t ma i l dot com

There is no cheap way to do a proper rebuild. Even doing it yourself will be $2500 without performance upgrades. I am finishing one up right now...its time consuming, detail oriented, and expensive....and if you screw something up there is nobody else to blame. I've rebuilt motors before and still managed to screw up the oil seal this time....it happens.

The only real savings you get rebuilding yourself is from the lack of warranty.

Mike D

#73 2002 Racer...now with 20% more quack

Still to many parts....