• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS: BMW 2002 Tii Brake Booster and Distributor

Brandon

I have a Tii brake booster and also a Tii distributer up on ebay. Links below:

Tii brake booster:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251147488225&ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT

Tii distributor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251147488287&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

So does anybody know if that works with a "regular " 1973 2002 A as well? And if so, is it an easy upgrade or complicted to install? Any alternatives? Thanks

The booster will work with a 2002 automatic, there are no differences with the brake setup in that car. It's fairly easy to swap out, there are seven bolts/nuts and a pin that needs to be removed in order to get the booster out with its bracket. You also have to undo the brake lines, so you'd have to bleed the brakes when you reinstall.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

So does anybody know if that works with a "regular " 1973 2002 A as well? And if so, is it an easy upgrade or complicted to install? Any alternatives? Thanks

there are only two real reasons to go to the effort of replacing a standard brake booster with a tii booster:

1) you are planning to install sidedraft carburetors and want the clearance for the airhorns or air filter.

2) you desire the appearance of installing an 'upgraded' brake booster to your car, knowing that you paid more for it so it must be good.

both are reasonable desires. you will also have to replace your master cylinder to the shorter tii-version if you want any chance of mating up with your existing brake lines (after bending them into position). or you can cobble together some short pieces to make up the difference.

i convinced myself that item 1, applied to me so i went through with the conversion which included purchasing new brake lines and bending them to mimic the longer tii lines. Until i actually go through with installing the sidedrafts, i am resigned to the fact that item 2 is probably more applicable to me at this time... :-(

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Addition to Jerry's comment:

If you go with a tii brake booster to make room for side draft carbs, the Ireland Engineering side draft intake manifold makes it possible to go with 2 1/2" air horns, with room to spare.

Photo1%2520%25285%2529.jpg

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

agree with jerry. it is less of an "upgrade" than it is a "change".

Tii booster would be an upgrade compared to the smaller non Tii version. I would think the larger booster would enable more 'force' to be applied to the brake calipers and wheel cylinders, especially on the Tii as these items were larger. I may be wrong but I don't think the factory added a larger booster to the Tii for a decoration.

Andrew,

Marshall's right on the money--they're 45s. I called a few weeks ago to inquire with you whether I should match the intake manifold to the bore of the 45's. Per discussion with Jeff, they're as bored as a D student in calculus class.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Tii booster would be an upgrade compared to the smaller non Tii version. I would think the larger booster would enable more 'force' to be applied to the brake calipers and wheel cylinders, especially on the Tii as these items were larger. I may be wrong but I don't think the factory added a larger booster to the Tii for a decoration.

they added a different shape booster to clear the intake manifold probably.....

boosters do not add more force or power to the brake system. they do not upgrade a brake system to make it stop any better. they add assist to whatever force the driver puts into the brake system. unless the driver is an 80lb weakling, any driver could stop a 2002 no matter what booster it had. tii's had bigger calipers/wheel cyls....and had a bigger master cyl to accomodate them.

2xM3

they added a different shape booster to clear the intake manifold probably.....

boosters do not add more force or power to the brake system. they do not upgrade a brake system to make it stop any better. they add assist to whatever force the driver puts into the brake system. unless the driver is an 80lb weakling, any driver could stop a 2002 no matter what booster it had. tii's had bigger calipers/wheel cyls....and had a bigger master cyl to accomodate them.

So BMW added a LARGER booster to the tii and ti just to clear the air cleaner, yeah right. I've been around these cars for over 25 years and that's the first I've heard of that. A larger booster would aid the driver in applying MORE force to the brake calipers, thus stopping the car in a shorter distance. Tii was higher performance and needed a bigger brake system, the larger booster, master, and calipers all added to that.

no matter what booster a car has, it will stop in the same distance. booster has nothing to do with brake performance. it only changes the amount of force the driver applies to achieve the SAME level of braking ability.

The larger booster would allow you to apply that force quicker therfore stopping the car in a lessor distance, which would improve brake performance.

I don't know about the relative strength of standard vs. tii boosters (I always assumed the tii booster added more assist, but I could be wrong), but I'll have to agree with Marshall here on brake function. Imagine three 2002's: one has a standard booster, the second a tii booster, and the third no booster (Alpina pedal box setup as on my '69 or Tilton dual-pedal balance bar setup as on my '74).

If the brake system is working properly, rapid strong application of the brakes should lock the wheels into a skid in any of these three cars. Dry surface road/rubber sliding friction is roughly 30% less less than static friction, which is why it takes longer to stop if you have locked up. To avoid lockup, you release a little brake pressure (brake modulation) and allow the wheel to roll slightly. This is threshold braking, and is maximum braking for any car. If you can lock the wheels, you can threshold brake. The booster makes easier to lock the wheels, but as long as one can press the pedal hard enough to lock the wheels in all three cars, all other things being equal, stopping distance will be identical.

Best regards,

Fred '69 GT2/3/4 and '74tii E-Mod

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)