• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 1600 6v or 12v Question

Bdkee

Fantastic! Thanks everyone for the explanation. As my car has a '68 US VIN with the larger, higher battery tray I think I've got a confirmed 12volt system. Makes sense on the older run of manuals. The old girl is back on the road and running like a champ.

Thanks again.

Brian

Glad you got that sorted out. Now start installing relay'd circuits for lights (high and low beams), horns and anything else that might tax the system. Those early harnesses didn't provide a lot of room for expansion.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Thus, any 1600 with a 156 or 157xxxx VIN (or 2002 with 166 or 167xxxx VIN) is a US spec car and has 12v electrics with a six fuse system. Twelve fuse cars began with the "modell 71" cars that hit the US market in April 1971.

cheers

mike

Mike,

OK, but I had a '67 1600-2 (U.S. spec) back in the day. It was a 6-volt. I sold it ca. '76 and I can't find anything in my records as to its VIN. Do you know the VIN range for a 6-volt U.S. spec 1600-2? Presumably 155xxxx, or earlier?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)