• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Help needed with E3

bnam

Looks like the shock towers have been patched. '02s, E3s & E9s have very similar shock tower designs.

The E3s have a section on the e9 Forum

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Been a long time since I had mine, but I would say they are patched. In the photo that shows both sides they appear to be asymmetrical, which I don't think would be by design. I thought I had a picture of the trunk in mine, but can't seem to find it.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Danger Will Robinson!!

The guy says they aren't patched? I would walk away.

If he said "why yes they have been patched, they were done by reputable shop X and if you refer to the folder of invoices you will see it there" then I would linger a little longer.

The fact is that those tubs have been patched and unless it is some kind of trick of the light that seems to be common to at least two photos from two different angles it looks like a home spun bodge. The fact that a so called pro either can't spot this themselves or believes they can bullshit you about it tells a story.

It looks nice on the surface but I suspect this could be another saga like Select Classics in the making. Avoid.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Ok, If I remember correctly, its been 8+ years, the trunk is originally fully lined so you can not see the shock towers without removing the lining, which may be contributing to why I can't recall what they should look like. As I said before, the fact that the areas of concern do not appear to be symmetrical, its likely a certainty that there has been welding done to patch in replacement shock towers. I would be very suspicious that 1) the person selling it has no knowledge of the history of the car, or 2) the person selling it thinks you can be talked out of a concern that may be very serious. Welding can be done by a wide variety of skill levels. Do it correctly and its as strong or stronger than original. Do it incorrectly and you have a potentially dangerous installation of the only two pieces of metal keeping the rear end of the car from dragging on the ground. I am by no means an expert welder but I do happen to manage some of the most knowledgeable welding engineers and welders in the country. I would advise you to stay away from the car, even though it appears to be very nice. The price, at this point seems to be getting beyond what its worth anyway. Be patient and keep your eyes open for another one, they are out there, that is one part of the car you can't just replace and feel 100% confident in, not knowing the skill level of the welder just puts you at risk, not just monetarily, but physically. Sorry, I would pass.

PS Just found this pic on the Senior Six registry. I don't see the same issues on this one that I see in the one you are interested in.

post-20588-13667664554858_thumb.jpg

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Thanks all! Decided to pass and look for another. This car interests me as apart from the looks, I like that I can take my entire family of 5 on evening/weekend drives -- something I cannot do with my Tii.

Also, the Tii I bought came with undisclosed damage and don't want to do that again

Byas

......well, it IS a NICE looking sedan and great for your

intended motoring pleasure - We're just trying to eliminate

surprises. It would be a nice car but still knowing that it

aint 'pristine' underneath.

For 1/2 the asking price it MIGHT then be a Nice Car To Own.

It's a great 50 footer

It is a great looking car.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Will look at E28s as well. Thx for link. Will check it out.

Another E3 has come up for sale:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/3276820870.html

I spoke to the seller this AM. He says the engine has not been rebuilt and in his recollection when he did compression testing when he got the car a few years ago, it was 120+- across all cylinders. THis sounds low to me.

He also said that it does not smoke even on startup.

One issue is that the car overheats in slow/traffic driving conditions. He attributes this to the fan clutch failure, but I think the issue must be elsewhere. What are the common causes for this car?

What would a rebuild on an engine like this run? (Range?)

Thanks!

Byas