• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAUTION!!!

LarryS

When clicking on the "curve of tii plastic intake plenum tubes" thread, i get a warning. It does not happen on the other threads...Below is the message:

Warning: Something's Not Right Here!

www.bmw2002faq.com contains content from bringatrailer.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.

Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.

We have already notified bringatrailer.com that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on bringatrailer.com, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

If you understand that visiting this site may harm your computer, proceed anyway.

Help improve detection of malware by sending additional data to Google about sites on which you see this warning. This data will be handled in accordance with the Safe Browsing privacy policies.

[/i]

post-21361-13667664540487_thumb.jpg

72 Tii

I get the same warning when I try to go to directly to "Bring a Trailer". I've been going there for years and this is the first I've seen this. I'm not computer savvy enough to trouble shoot this.....

1973 Golf Totaled in 1979

1971 Chamonix Sold

1972 Tii Verona Sold

1973 Inka Sold

1971 Malaga Totaled in 1984

1973 Agave Sold

1973 Agave auto Sold

2000 R1150 GS current

Guys,

If you aren't experienced in computers, your anecdotal evidence is going to do more harm than good.

Many sites have their advertisement space purchased by seedy individuals. These ads still require you to click on them to get yourself into trouble. It's very unlikely that the base code of a website as heavily trafficked as Bring a Trailer would be compromised, and even if it was compromised for an hour or a day it would be restored from a clean backup pretty quickly. It takes a lot longer to have the site reviewed and have the warning removed.

If you're running Firefox or Chrome, run a good AdBlocker (for Chrome- https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fchrome.google.com%2Fwebstore%2Fdetail%2Fgighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom&ei=YttYUNGeI-i10AH-6oDQAw&usg=AFQjCNGxao1V4H0JAMb2AJB8sPUwZX9vfw, for Firefox try https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Faddons.mozilla.org%2Fen-US%2Ffirefox%2Faddon%2Fadblock-plus%2F&ei=YttYUNGeI-i10AH-6oDQAw&usg=AFQjCNEAsuvar4T3ip5Q6uWbX64oiWB-qQ)- this will protect you from the majority of the nonsense like this.

[/url]

~Rob

'73 2002 Warmbold Rally Car Imitator

'89 325i Time Capsule

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/09/16/announcement-security-warnings-on-bat/

September 16, 2012

Announcement: Security Warnings on BaT

As many of you noticed, on Friday we had a hacker attack our site, triggering Google and others to flag us with a virus warning.

This problem has now been rectified and security improved so that we can prevent this in the future. Thanks for all the emails and messages alerting us to the situation you are seeing as users. Several of you even work for internet security companies and offered to help at no charge. What a great community we have at BaT!

Even though our systems are now secure and operating properly, we had to request that Google and others crawl our site manually so that they will remove their warnings. This should happen soon (possibly delayed given the weekend timing). We just wanted to let you know that we are aware of the situation and have already taken steps to resolve it. Things will be back to normal very soon.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email us at mail@bringatrailer.com.

Thanks!

BaT

--> 1968 2002 <--

don't use windows explorer, hackers install malware when windows update your computer overnight ! Google chrome is better but not immune. Switch to Linux and all your worries will go away (may be not!)

I'm sorry to single you out, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. There's nothing of value here, and actually a lot of harm.

"Windows Explorer" does not browse the internet. Hackers do not install malware when Windows Update runs. I have a difficult time believing anybody that doesn't know these simple facts would be able to operate a Linux machine.

~Rob

'89 325i Time Capsule

don't use windows explorer, hackers install malware when windows update your computer overnight ! Google chrome is better but not immune. Switch to Linux and all your worries will go away (may be not!)

I'm sorry to single you out, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. There's nothing of value here, and actually a lot of harm.

"Windows Explorer" does not browse the internet. Hackers do not install malware when Windows Update runs. I have a difficult time believing anybody that doesn't know these simple facts would be able to operate a Linux machine.

read this article please:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/flame-malware-mimics-a-windows-update/2012/06/05/gJQAtjpMGV_story.html

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/09/16/announcement-security-warnings-on-bat/

September 16, 2012

Announcement: Security Warnings on BaT

As many of you noticed, on Friday we had a hacker attack our site, triggering Google and others to flag us with a virus warning.

This problem has now been rectified and security improved so that we can prevent this in the future. Thanks for all the emails and messages alerting us to the situation you are seeing as users. Several of you even work for internet security companies and offered to help at no charge. What a great community we have at BaT!

Even though our systems are now secure and operating properly, we had to request that Google and others crawl our site manually so that they will remove their warnings. This should happen soon (possibly delayed given the weekend timing). We just wanted to let you know that we are aware of the situation and have already taken steps to resolve it. Things will be back to normal very soon.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email us at mail@bringatrailer.com.

Thanks!

BaT

Bravo! Thanks for the info!

1973 Golf Totaled in 1979

1971 Chamonix Sold

1972 Tii Verona Sold

1973 Inka Sold

1971 Malaga Totaled in 1984

1973 Agave Sold

1973 Agave auto Sold

2000 R1150 GS current

read this article please:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/flame-malware-mimics-a-windows-update/2012/06/05/gJQAtjpMGV_story.html

My points stand.

Windows Explorer is not used to browse the internet.

Windows Update was vulnerable. In fact, it infected 300-1,000 machines. Out of 450,000,000.

Your post was alarmist, generalized, and inaccurate. We're in a community of car enthusiasts. There are far fewer folks that can clean malware compared to those who can fix a carb problem. Let's leave the Windows issues to those that can accurately diagnoise, solve, and prevent them, and leave the rest to C Diesel, okay?

~Rob

'89 325i Time Capsule