• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Gal in a 2002

fuzzynormal

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our cars do provide different "aromas" then modern cars, from the rubberized horse hair padding in the seats to that faint smell of gas that never quite goes away even after you replace the hoses in the trunk, so keep that in mind. If it is running well, I would not worry about the sights and smells, just enjoy driving it. I would start contacting others in CA who know what it means to get through smog. Or...move to NC...inspection? what inspection...at least on a 1973.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

What do CA owners (of which I'm now one) of these cars typically do to their vehicles in order to get it past the smog check?

My car passes the actual smog test, what it does not pass is the visual inspection, for which you need to find a "friendly" test station. When the time comes, post and we will help.

Don't worry too much about it, and enjoy your new car.

Welcome to the insanity!

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

What do CA owners (of which I'm now one) of these cars typically do to their vehicles in order to get it past the smog check?

My car passes the actual smog test, what it does not pass is the visual inspection, for which you need to find a "friendly" test station. When the time comes, post and we will help.

Don't worry too much about it, and enjoy your new car.

Welcome to the insanity![/quote]

.........oh man, you had to throw in that last line URGH!!! I hate that line!

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

What they all said ;-)

You are fortunate living in SoCal. A lot of these cars are around, and the resources to maintain them. Check out La Jolla Independent. Carl is probably among the top 5 old BMW experts in the country.

Also, change the oil and filter, and I'll suggest Castrol 20w50. That may well minimize your smoke issue. Or maybe not, but it's the oil these motors require.

GL!

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Congratulations on being a "Vintage" BMW owner and willing to learn more about it. Looks like you found a nice car to start with.

I can get my wife to ride in my car once in a while..

SusansJuly4thridesmall.jpg

BTW - shameless plug for her business - need any new clothes, belts or jewelry?

DSC_0386.jpg

http://shopatzoe.com/

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Check that you have seals in engine compartment - rubber on back of hood close to passenger compartment running left to right and also small (6inch) black seals adjacent to hood latch running front to rear. I replaced mine and it cleared up the fumes quite a bit.

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

change the oil and filter, and I'll suggest Castrol 20w50.

Well, I got some Penzoil 20-50 today and a new oil filter, so later on I'll change out the oil and see how the little guy behaves.

I'm glad y'all are so helpful! Hopefully I'll get it running in top shape before too long!

car2.jpeg

Another nice picture of your car.

Please do not install a cheap oil filter - it might blow out when you start the engine. I recommend only Mahle/Mann brand oil filters.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Guest Anonymous

When you change the oil - which should be soon - add a bottle (about 8 oz) of MOS (moly disulfide) oil additive. It should help the smoking.