• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Gal in a 2002

fuzzynormal

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check your title (pink slip) and see if it somehow got legally titled as a 1975

It says: YR MODEL: 1975 and YR 1st SOLD: 1976

Confusing.

Wow! Yeah, that may be a 1975 car for real as far as CA is concerned. How did you buy it? did the seller give you a smog certificate for it? Did you have to present it when you registered it?

If it's really a '75 and you're clear of the CA emissions stuff, then congratulations, you have a great looking 2002 and you should keep it :)

As for oil, I only run Castrox GTX 20W-50 in my BMWs, it's really good stuff. If it's smoking as much as you say (from what I understand of your description), then changing to a different oil won't really do much, eventually you'll need to have the head rebuilt or at least the valve stem seals replaced (in which case it makes sense to do a proper rebuild), but for now just drive it and have fun.

Guest Anonymous

I was also in your predicament w/my '76 passing smog. The way to get around that is to register your car in a county that only requires smog test when the car is SOLD & ownership changes. Mind u most large counties in CA require a smog test to renew your registration every 2 years. I registered my car in Calaveras County using a friends address. I did this all at the local triple A office cuz I didn't have the guts to do it at the actual DMV office. At the triple A:no questions asked - the lady handed over my sticker & new registration!

Do you know anyone who lives in a rural county in CA? Go to the CA DMV website & find the list of counties that don't require smog w/registration renewal. Hopefully you have a friend or a friend of a friend who's adress u can use.

Good luck-don't freak out & sell your car! You can get around this.[/i]

you might try 50 weight oil it may help with the smoke

I have some 20w50 in there right now. I think I'm going to put a straight weight 30 in during the oil change.

Keep the 20w50. Using the SAE30 will send it by the valve guides so fast. When I ran 10w30 I burned so much oil... Amsoil 20w50 I am finding burns the least.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Yep. Nope to the straight 30 wt.

Run some type of oil that has a lot of zinc in it. Your engine needs that.

I run Brad Penn 20/50 in my Porsche. Very happy with that.

I run Red Line 15/50 in the 2002 and the old Mini.

They cost more than brand name at the local auto house, but worth it.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

worst case, just park it in a garage and LOOK at it every day.

Well, I've done that.

I also checked out this on the VIN table:

VIN Table -- U.S. Cars

Mod 76 1975 Sep-75 Dec-75 2-370-001, 2-377-688

My VIN: 2-370-976

Now what?

Weird. Based on the VIN table it looks like it's a modell 1976 (as per BMW) but the year of the car is a 1975, even though cars built in September through August of the following year are usually titled as that following year's model, in this case, 1976.

Weird. Based on the VIN table it looks like it's a modell 1976 (as per BMW) but the year of the car is a 1975, even though cars built in September through August of the following year are usually titled as that following year's model, in this case, 1976.

If it's this confusing to enthusiasts, then it seems like if I did the registration I could scoot by in the grey area when dealing with an apathetic DMV clerk.

I mean, the current title and reg say 1975. Rubber stamp it without much contemplation and maybe it's good enough. Pain the toot though ...and risky.