• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1972 2002 restoration project

nesbit92

thought I would show you guys my project that I have been putting off for a while but will get started on in the next month or so, will be sinking the better part of around $20k AUD in to this little beasty, will keep you guys updated when ever I can.

imag0014copy.png

p.s any 2002 owners in Perth, Western Australia?

does she really need a resto?

yes and no, the body work is in immaculate shape and will be re-spraying it to the BMW silver of that generation. engine will be completely re-built with a 292 schrick cam weber 38/38 carb, full top end rebuild, boost the compression to 9.5:1 with some forged pistons and a total bottom end rebuild, transmission will be swapped for a 5 speed OD, all the suspension will be replaced with bilstein all round on eibach springs and urethane bushes all round, the interior I'll be getting some recaro's in leather trim put in and re-upholster the rear seat in leather also, dash is also in immaculate shape with no cracks so thats all fine but thinking I might put some wooden panels in, the centre console will be completely ripped out and a custom built one made, all of the trim needs to be replaced around the car and new glass windows all round will be installed.

will be a long one but I don't intend to sell the car ever so I'm doing it how I want =)

I recently installed Bilsteins, Eibach springs, and totally refurbished front and rear subframes with urethane bushings all around in my 73 and my advice to anyone thinking of doing the same is to find a car with that combination if possible and take a test drive first. I realize there are other ride variables such as wheels and tires, but it will give you a pretty good idea of what you will have after such an install. The urethane bushings weren't my choice because I bought the subframes already redone from somebody who abandoned a track car build and they were already installed. I find the ride overly rough for a driver and I probably would have gone with stock rubber if I was doing it myself. Mine is not even a daily driver, mostly just weekend joy rides when the weather is nice and on rough roads it can be quite jarring. Just my opinion. By the way, anybody in the Atlanta/N. Georgia area who would like to try the set up in my car would be welcome to.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

i hope gas is cheap in Australia, or that you are gainfully employed...

i have a high compression engine (175psi), 292 schrick cam and 5spd OD tranny with 3.64 open diff and weber 38/38. all i can say is that it goes like heck but is one thirsty car.

i have a 36 mile commute each way and i'm filling it up every other day. i have no trouble staying in the fast lane, though.

with the exception of the 292 schrick cam, i was lucky, my engine and tranny came to me with a scrapped car for $800. no rebuild and no burning oil.

if i could change one thing, i'd replace my ST Springs with either cut OEM springs or progressive springs. i'd never use urethane bushingson a street car. especially on califonia roads.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

talk to me about the webber 38 carb, had it reccoed here and just testing the waters, how is it with stock motor setup with a 10 mile comute/ weekend driving, ya or na? Not lookin for a track car just a little extra go off the line?

talk to me about the webber 38 carb, had it reccoed here and just testing the waters, how is it with stock motor setup with a 10 mile comute/ weekend driving, ya or na? Not lookin for a track car just a little extra go off the line?

given I haven't started the restoration yet, I'll let you know in ~10 months or so haha