• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what fastener type do I need?..

jrkoupe

a 1/2inch carriage bolt.

your gauge cluster will break before that bolt will ever let go!!!!

pick a 'hot-dipped galvanized' one, too, available at your local marine hardware supply store.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Jerry

thanks for the response BUT your suggestion makes me think I was not clear...... or you are on some serious meds....lol

I want to secure an auxilliary gauge pod ( for 3 gauges)onto the top my dash parcel shelf..

Im thinking 4 little fasteners total....2 on each end of the pod.

Its the typical alpina style 3 gauge rectangle housing....Ill try to get a pic.

You may not need any fasteners. I have an older 3-gauge pod from BMP, and it fits fairly snug into the parcel shelf. I did have to drill a hole down through the dash (gasp!) and the metal subframe to route the gauge wiring, and the friction of the wires in the hole are sufficient to keep the pod in place, even on the track.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

'most secure' woudl be to drill all the way through and use small machine screws with nuts...

'easiest while not falling off' (e.g. racecar) would be self- tapping sheetmetal screws...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

seat belt warning light, remove that and place the gauge pod over the hole left by the warning light housing. Plenty of room for a wiring harness, and two holes in the dash already there to hold the pod in place. And...the gauges are quite visible without having to take your eyes off the road.

I've had that setup on my '73 since 1987 and really like it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite