• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Fjord 2002tii in SD CL

repoman

I purchased this car. I was delivered yesterday. The car is better than I ever expected!! Looks like a time capsule. It is 100% original. It was owned by the wife's father and passed down. It needs nothing except a driver.

Lee

Congratulations Lee! Now dig into this tii and share some good pics.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

Slight veering off the original thread - sorry to other posters..

I'm a HUGE fan of early "black tube" tiis. I've often heard people complain about them causing vacuum leaks (cured by eight $2 O rings) but they indicate early 121 head / higher compression motors. I remember reading Mahle and/or KS piston catalogs and seeing that 121 head cars had slightly higher compression than E12 cars (with metal tubes). Someone here can surely verify or correct me on this point. Euro cars had 10:1 in that configuration. No substitute for displacement *OR* compression. Only the initial 3200 or so USA spec cars had the plastic runners. Rare? Eh.

I personally LOVE the "prototype" looking appearance of the plastic runners. Never had a problem with mine, though they're difficult to remove and install without warming them up in hot water / heat gun.

Do they flow better? Hell...who knows! I'd never "upgrade" to metal ones.

Just my opinion (I have a lot of those)

tii engine 2762332 with aluminum runners, 121 head, old style round left engine mount, etc. Intake switched later on? Who knows.

pics11272010020.jpg

pics11272010022.jpg

pics11272010014.jpg

pics11272010013.jpg

pics1232010044.jpg

pics12102010015.jpg

Bolts used to secure the earlier intake plenum

pics11282010033.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

Hey Jim.... since I can't turn down a chance to share inane trivia. I'm betting that motor has been messed with.

Here's the nerd-O-riffic trivia part:

There WAS an instance (according to factory parts books) of the plastic runners being replaced with metal ones (along with the E12 head ) at VIN 2761944...but then a short return to PLASTIC runners and 121 heads from VIN 2762014 until VIN 2762372. All subsequent cars received E12 heads and metal runners.

Who knows if this really happened and/or why. Probably supplier problems or excess inventory to unload.

Have fun with that one! :-)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com