• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling Inquiry 1976 - Seattle vs. San Francisco

Guest Slatts

Price: $100

Description:

Current owner - always garaged.

Edited by Slatts
Old information

I am sure the car will be easier to sell in Seattle because of the Smog laws in CA. If the car has ALL of the original smog equipment installed and working it might be ok in CA but if it has been removed you will spend more than it is worth to find and install it all before you can sell the car down there. Unlike WA where there are parts of the state that have smog inspections (and they only go back 25 years so your car is exempt) and other parts that don't. CA does visual and tailpipe tests on ALL cars 1976 and newer state wide!

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Preyupy -

The reason for going down with WA collector's plates would be to potentially bypass CA smog tests and tab fees going forward - the new owner would just have to record the sale in WA and keep the collector's plates.

Maddrake -

I put $1,500 into the car since purchasing (bought at $6,500). So I would throw it out there at $7,000 and see what happens.

They would have to register it in WA using a CA address, or leave it in your name with your old WA address on the title. I doubt that is going to go over very well with potential buyers. If they get caught with an un registered car in CA they will loose the car. I just don't think you should plan on the buyer to be willing to cheat the state of CA, they still have to insure it etc and the local cops will start wondering about this old BMW with WA plates after they have seen it over and over for months.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

"that 1976 is a $1500 car, tops, in California.. "

You wouldn't be located in Humboldt by chance?

As a comp. I spoke with a guy yesterday who just sold his 76 last month in San Jose with an estimated 300K mi. on it for $5K off C-List.

While not really able to talk dollars, I would guess that you're likely to get more for your money in any other state but California. Regardless of whether the car has collector plates in WA, if a CA buyer wants to title it in CA, the car will have to pass both the visual and tail pipe smog tests. The vast majority of CA buyers won't want to deal with it. I would sell it up here. Offer it in Portland as well.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

more pictures would be helpful. It appears to be worth at least $5k from the 1 picture and description (not that I would ever buy a car that way). A pic of the engine bay and better view of the fenders and rockers... (for rust/bondo) would be helpful.

Seems to only make sense to sell it in WA.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is there classic/collector car registration in CA that avoids the ordinary emissions rules for '76 cars? If so, what are the limitations on mileage or use? Obviously such a car could not be a daily driver, but many of our cars are not daily drivers.

Just curious (and uninformed),

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

To my knowledge a CA classic car must be at least 39 years old and go through a much more strict and costly process than in WA. In WA it seems to be fairly straightforward with the process and obtuse when it comes to when exactly the car can be driven and for what purposes - "special excursions" okay. Also, WA cars only have to be 30 years old.

WA: http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/spcollector.html

CA: http://www.onlinedmv.com/car-registration/california-dmv-antique-vehicle-registration.html

Got it! Thanks.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)