• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting 2002 Repainted...what would you get done?

etk2002

As the title of the thread suggests, what would you get done if you had an opportunity to get your 2002 stripped and repainted? I would like to do it RIGHT the first time around. What do you get taken off...especially if you're changing the color of the car?

Do you get POR-15 underneath? Do you get sound deadening underneath (it's getting a new carpet kit)? Take apart dash to paint underneath? Anything in particular you do different knowing what you know about 2002s now?

1975 BMW 2002 - Absolutely Unique Imola Red Classic
2011 BMW F10 550i - Daily Driver
2010 Mercedes GL450 - Kiddie hauler

Gen 2 Dodge Viper GTS & 996 Porsche 911 Turbo - "I just wanted to hear the turbos whistle"

Howdy! The very first thing I'd do is make the firm decision to paint it the same original color...unless...you plan to do a complete nut and bolt strip and build.

Once you have the car torn down you can isolate rust damage and form a plan to treat and fix it all.

At that time you may wish to improve sound and heat deadening, as well as treat all hidden cavites rails with an anti-corrosion spray like Eastwood Anti-rust or LPS-3. Por15 around the pedal box/accelerator pedal area can't hurt.

--> 1968 2002 <--

Howdy! The very first thing I'd do is make the firm decision to paint it the same original color...unless...you plan to do a complete nut and bolt strip and build.

Once you have the car torn down you can isolate rust damage and form a plan to treat and fix it all.

At that time you may wish to improve sound and heat deadening, as well as treat all hidden cavites rails with an anti-corrosion spray like Eastwood Anti-rust or LPS-3. Por15 around the pedal box/accelerator pedal area can't hurt.

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, it'll be getting a complete strip down since the body is in overall excellent shape. I just want to know what I should do while it's torn apart....basically, I want to know the items that I should take care of that I won't be able to take care of later on once things are put back together or may not be cost effective to do at a later point.

1975 BMW 2002 - Absolutely Unique Imola Red Classic
2011 BMW F10 550i - Daily Driver
2010 Mercedes GL450 - Kiddie hauler

Gen 2 Dodge Viper GTS & 996 Porsche 911 Turbo - "I just wanted to hear the turbos whistle"

Replace all door and window seals. If you are replacing carpeting, I say do a COMPLETE interior strip, chip out the old sound deadening (freeze it first using dry ice then chip it off with a pneumatic hammer!), install new sound deadening (makes a massive difference in noise and heat insulation), new headliner (might as well if you have the windscreens out). Refurbish your trim, or do a trim delete; whatever you like. If you have to replace your heater core or anything thats a total PITA like that, do it now so that you dont have to worry about scratching your new paint.

Really just go from front to back and fix every single damn thing that you have been putting off. you'll find more problems that need addressing, and it may seem like a total pain at first, but the finished product will be far better.

If I had to choose the things that make biggest difference though, it is easily doing the seals and replacing the sound deadening. Those two transform the car for the better.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

I 2nd the sound deadening and new carpet install! I would say, when you think you have done enough, do more. I wish I would have put some foam under the carpet too to give it a more plush and even quieter interior. I have an S14 and 2.5" exhaust system that is a tad loud! :)

Take everything off, clean and dress every crevice with POR 15 or equivalent. Undercoat the body as well.

There was a great discussion at Mid-America about the rear wheel wells and how there is a hollow interior portion of the wheel wells and how to clean them out and rust proof them.

Good luck, it's a nice year project.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

There was a great discussion at Mid-America about the rear wheel wells and how there is a hollow interior portion of the wheel wells and how to clean them out and rust proof them..

please tell us more - is there an article you can reference?

thanks!

Jeff

There was a great discussion at Mid-America about the rear wheel wells and how there is a hollow interior portion of the wheel wells and how to clean them out and rust proof them.

yes, very interesting, please tell us more.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg