• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost my keys.....and my sanity?

littlehandegan

I don't recommend a dealer. I tried to order a spare Huf key through my local Atlanta dealer. They charged me TWICE what they quoted me. (quoted $23...charged my card $48) Then after waiting over a month for the key to arrive from Germany I had to follow up several times, only to be told they were unable to fill my order because my 7 digit VIN had been reassigned to a 1988 325.

Go to a LOCKSMITH!!!!!

I don't recommend a dealer. I tried to order a spare Huf key through my local Atlanta dealer. They charged me TWICE what they quoted me. (quoted $23...charged my card $48) Then after waiting over a month for the key to arrive from Germany I had to follow up several times, only to be told they were unable to fill my order because my 7 digit VIN had been reassigned to a 1988 325.

Go to a LOCKSMITH!!!!!

So I should take my VIN to a locksmith?

On the underside of the ignition switch should be a little white sticker with the key number; it will be W + 4 numbers (ie W1234).

Take that to your Dealer and they can get a key for you.

This is assuming your ignition switch is still original.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Any decent locksmith will have the blank - at least the blanks are widely available in Seattle. You don't need the VIN - the locksmith inserts the blank into the ignition and notes the marks made when he (or she) turns the key, then files the blank to the correct specs. Ask me how I know.

The process takes about half an hour.

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

and get three sets of keys made.

one to use

one as spare

and one to lose.

i never understand why people only have one set of keys.

people lose the "one" set regularly....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,search/mode,results/?search_keywords=lost+and+key&search_author=&search_forum=-1&search_time=0&search_fields=all&search_cat=-1&sort_by=0&sort_dir=DESC&show_results=topics&return_chars=200

2xM3

We can try to order a coded key set for you car with your vin number.

As mentioned before sometimes it doesn't work so you have to take the code from the lock itself.

Then we send your drivers license and registration (copy) to BMW and they give us the locks back in about 2 weeks usually.

It's not the smoothest process but it can be done and you will be left with original factory keys.

Also make sure that the address that appears in the registration is the same were we are shipping the parts.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

if one or both door locks are original and match the ign, the number on the sticker is stamped on the door lock cylinder(s)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite