• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solex 1BBL with manual choke, adjustments

trumanwoll

Just as a general FYI, I'm sure it's come up here before and been discussed many times:

My 1970 came with a single barrel carb and to be honest the performance was almost better than the 32/36 Weber I had on my 74. If I were to run a stock carb'd M10 again I'd stick with the single barrel Solex over a 32/36 any day.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I'd say so also; this was a 1971 2002 I had mid 1980's, yhe Solex 1 barrel developed a fuel leak I believe at the throttle body; ordered the Weber 34ICH from Greenfield Imported Car Parts, in Mass., think it was just over $100.00 back then, easy swap over but the jetting didn't seem right, didn't bother to change the jetting as well, idle was fine but it stumbled a bit at high way speeds, probably could have used an air./corr. jetting change or even main jet change. I sold the car shortly after doing the carburettor swap so I didn't bother doing any jet changes. The 1 barrel solexes are basically bullet proof, keep the idle jet clean and that's about it. The Weber 34 ICH I read was more suitable for VW's.

Tim

I had the 38/38 on my chamonix '74 2002; that was a nice set up; engine rebuild at 9.5:1, 292 cam, then did a complete new oem exhaust system with a tii exhaust manifold; the Weber 38/38 replaced a weber 32/36. The roundies I had; '70, two 1971's all had the single barrel solex, one of the '71's developed that throttle body leak.

Tim

• 4 years later...

Thanks for all the input everyone! I had a little bit more school work than I thought I would, so I'm going to put off working on the car for tomorrow. 

I'll take as detailed photos as I can to better diagnose what's going on.

I may drive it to see if it behaves the same way cold too

Edited by SoFlo 02