• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garbage Disposal - Are the blades replaceable?

winstontj

A friend's garbage disposal just died and it's the day before turkey day. Can you replace the spinning blades inside these things or is it just easier/better to simply replace the whole unit?

Everything works 100% except that the two spinning blades broke off (when someone dropped a fork down the drain and turned it on by accident).

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Thx. I know $300 can get you a brand new one and they are easy to install, etc.

I'm not at the house where it's broken. Just curious if they are replaceable or if it's just the whole unit. I'd imagine for a $200-$500 unit (depending on which one) that it's not a "serviceable unit" but I don't own a home so what do I know.

Does anyone know if Home Depot or Lowes will carry the parts or are they stuck just replacing the whole thing??

E36 

Geez - the unit I installed was only about $ 130.00. You don't need a 25HP Tim "Tool Time" Allen unit to grind up turkey bones.

haha very true, was just curious. I'm not sure that there is anyone handy around the house that could either replace the blades or the garbage disposal.

The one that's there is a fairly high-end model and #1 it's out of stock in a bunch of places near by and #2 it's huge and the way it's installed a smaller/shorter one would probably work but the plumbing wouldn't line up well so it would be a bit more complicated.

In the end I just defaulted to "not my house; not my problem"

E36