• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Dominion Speedway in Manassas VA closing

jgerock

Just read this in today's Washington Post Metro section.

ODSclosing.jpg

My friends and I have been going to this track for many years.

I attended countless VW BugOuts since the first one in 1981, Friday night drag races (1/8 mile track) and circle track races in the mid-90's when I helped crew on (2) Grand Stock cars (I-6 based).

I spent many Saturdays on the in-field portion of the circle track and Memorial & Labor day Sundays at the Bug Out shows.

Article indicates the current track owner is trying to open another track in Spotsylvania County near Thornburg.

September 1982 drags

DragracingSept1982.jpg

May 1984 car show winner

Showcarside.jpg

Fall 2009

c97ff3e9.jpg

My former car

4a57d7a8.jpg

September 2010

BugOutSept2010076.jpg

BugOutSept2010081.jpg

BugOutSept2010097.jpg

RIP ODS

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

those people around the track complaining about noise should be slapped. the track was there first. they bought houses around it KNOWING it was loud. i am sure the purchase prices reflected that. they don't like the noise, don't live there.

yet this type of thing happens over and over unfortunately. the majority of whiners win out over the enterprises that have been there longer.

not that i have any opinion on this......:-)

2xM3

those people around the track complaining about noise should be slapped. the track was there first. they bought houses around it KNOWING it was loud. i am sure the purchase prices reflected that. they don't like the noise, don't live there.

yet this type of thing happens over and over unfortunately. the majority of whiners win out over the enterprises that have been there longer.

Not just race tracks.....dweebs buy upscaled homes next to Lowe Army Heliport, Ft. Rucker, one can hear the whining all the way to Pensacola.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Not just race tracks.....dweebs buy upscaled homes next to Lowe Army Heliport, Ft. Rucker, one can hear the whining all the way to Pensacola.

Earl

Hehehe. Now that's funny. Living around military A/C constantly in the air for the first 30 years of my life tuned my ear to them. I race outside like I was 10 when I hear the Occasional UH 60 or Apache. Fergiddaboutit when the F5s fly into do tough and gos.

It does sound like the whiners are winning here.

I grew up near airbases, the new interstates that were being built, new housing developments being constructed, etc. I was proud of those planes and helicopters; I was not worried about the noise. The not-quite-finished interstates led to incredible drag races that could be heard for miles. Definitely OK w/me! Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, Chargers, GTO's -- bring it on... The housing developments were noisy, but what a cool playground for a 10-year-old kid. Loved it! My mom still gets upset hearing how my friends and I played in/around the houses under construction. I remember things being noisy as I grew up. Usually it meant that things were getting accomplished.

The whiners need to construct a gated community for themselves and zip it.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

This is from the only race program I saved from my many Saturdays at the tiny oval track in the early '90's. I grew up with the car owner who now manages his parent's business (Foreign Car Service - I worked some summers there).

Chevy Lumina bodied car was in the Grand Stock class - Inline 6 cylinder engine with single carburetor. Andy (Andreas) later sold the car and raced in the Late Model V8 class for several years driving for another car owner. I dropped out of the Roundie racing scene after I got married in 1995. Andreas' older brother Steve also raced in the same class but wasn't as successful.

ODSDrivercover.jpg

ODSGrandStockwinner.jpg

ODSNostalgia.jpg

Another victory - possibly in 1993.

ODSGrandStockwinpics.jpg

Some random pics of the car

ManassasMall3.jpg

ManassasMall2.jpg

ManassasMall1.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"