• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FEELER: Custom Wood Shift Knobs...

Rocan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the one I posted a CAD of is totally round on top.

Been a busy weekend for me (in both the good way and the bad way, haha) so I haven't done anything. Between finals coming up, work, and preparing for the holidays I haven't had much time. Still will be nice to have references so I can at least take measurements ready to turn them on the lathe.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Fun looking project! I'd be interested in a few of the inserts to use on knobs I have that I want to put on a threaded lever if your willing to sell them separately.

Pete

Sure! but shipping to japan may not make it worth it for you, unless if you want to buy a few.

A bunch of Bikes...

I finally got around to getting a picture of the knob I like, and uploading it. It isn`t in the same style as the one you are making for yourself, but I don`t think it would be that hard to make. Let me know if you want some measurements on it.

121203_002.jpg

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler

Sure Johnson!

You want this made in wood, correct? I am not doing metal knobs at this time unfortunately :(

-David

A bunch of Bikes...

Correct, that would be my entry to be made in wood. I already have it in metal, but I don`t like aluminum shift knobs on my daily drivers(too cold/hot). Would you like me to get you some measurements tonight?

take your time, I have finals coming around so this may need to be put on hold until the holidays.

-David

A bunch of Bikes...

So what years had the push-on knobs? I had assumed mine was threaded, but after closer inspection I think I was wrong???

Of course my car has a jillion miles on it, and it`s hard to tell what parts have been swapped around in it`s life.

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler

So what years had the push-on knobs? I had assumed mine was threaded, but after closer inspection I think I was wrong???

Of course my car has a jillion miles on it, and it`s hard to tell what parts have been swapped around in it`s life.

I believe only 5 speed swaps will have push on type knobs. I have a later car that still has a screw on. This just opens up the option to 5 speed guys.

A bunch of Bikes...

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished this prototype for Andrew over at Ireland.

This is just after being lacquered and is still wet, but look how pretty! Also, it is a push on type knob using an insert sourced from a cheap rubber knob. had a tricky time drilling it out (needed 20mm bit with 1/2 chuck since I have a dumb jacobs taper on my drill press) but it came out usable and... pretty...

It is a slight press fit with epoxy helping the bond.

Enjoy.

post-16982-13667668104859_thumb.jpg

post-16982-13667668105988_thumb.jpg

A bunch of Bikes...